YJ Axle Seal

My son and I replaced the front passenger side outer axle seal on his

93 YJ the other day and it is still leaking, actually it seems to leak worse. I pulled the vac disconnect cover plate and checked and the seal seems to be still seated properly so I got to thinking it might be one of the following.

1.) the axle had a bit of scoring on the part of the shaft that mates with the seal ... could this cause a bad leak?

2.) the inner seal is totally shot and overwhelming the outer seal?

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Jeepster

The inner seal doesn't do anything that the outer seal doesn't do. That is, they both prevent the shift assemby's dedicated oil supply from leaking into the axle tube between the inner seal and the right side carrier seal, or out the end of the tube.

The oil supply for the shift assembly does not come from the the differential, it has to be added to the shift assembly through the 4x4 indicator light switch hole any time you open the shift housing up. You DID put oil into the shift housing after you replaced the outer seal, didn't you? If not, you've likely toasted the whole magilla. If you did, then the seal isn't properly seated, was damaged when installed, or the outer shaft is damaged at the sealing surface. As tough as those are to get seated, I'd opt for the first two possibilities I listed.

Reply to
Jerry McG
3.) You bent it putting it in. (Pretty common happening I hear. I was told to buy an extra for the first one I did.)

Mike

Jeepster wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

If you don't have the factory tool this is a bear to get pressed in without ruining the seal. I still have a tool I made for these hanging in my shop somewhere. Even with that I generally ruin one or two before I'd get one in there fully seated.

The disconnect axle is absolutely the worst piece of Rube Goldberg nonsense ever installed on a Jeep.

Reply to
Jerry McG

I use threaded rod and big thick washers. It 'is' a pain.

Mike

Jerry McG wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I have a little pump I use for diff fluid and each time I take it apart I pump in enough to give the gear lubrication

I kind of though the inner and outer seals where the same but I was thinking that the inner seal might be completely gone and overwhelming the outer seal. I'm guessing now that the shaft is scored enough to not give me a good seal or I messed up the seal on installation.

Reply to
Jeepster

Yes that is what I used...I actually had to use the grinder to make the washer the right size. I will give it another go this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Thanks every>I use threaded rod and big thick washers. It 'is' a pain.

Reply to
Jeepster

Reply to
Jeepster

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I was going to say something Bill, but wasn't 100% sure. I remember having this discussion before maybe I think and there wasn't one on the YJ I helped do. Only the one seal per side.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Otherwise it would need a fill and drain plug. No way you can trust seals to be close to 100%.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The inner bearing for the intermediate shaft has an integral seal.

Reply to
Jerry McG

I have read that they do and never looked when I had it apart..... I wonder why the need to put fluid in the vac disconnect housing if you don't have an inner seal.

Reply to
Jeepster

To prelub it so it doesn't wear before oil splashes up there?

Mike

Jeepster wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

No oil splashes in there, the diff oil is sealed in the pumpkin by the carrier seals. The lube stays in the shift housing area. between the outer seal and the inner bearing/seal assy

overwhelming

Reply to
Jerry McG

Then how can the outer seal leak?

I mean when they leak, they freaking pour it out if you are tipped sideways.

This cannot be if there is an inner seal. (Don't even think about telling me the inner seal must be blown on 'all' of the ones I have seen or heard of needing an axle seal changed, I won't believe that for a second)

Where is the dip stick or check hole for the shift motor oil?

The book cannot say 'toss a tablespoon or so' in there when opening it up only.

The maintenance schedule does 'not' mention anywhere that you have to check the oil level in the shift motor nor are any provisions made to do so.

'Every' other fluid level in the Jeep has a way to check it.

Tell ya what, when I get a chance to help the next person who needs an outer seal changed, I will get them to fill up the shift motor to see if oil actually stays in it or the OP could do that just to make sure.

Mike

Jerry McG wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain