Ball Joints 01 TJ

Hi.

Replacing the upper and lower ball joints on my 01 TJ, with a kit bought from Napa (closest store). The kit is made by KDS.

The upper ball joint came out okay, but the kit's pipe is just a tad bit too small to go around the bottom ball joint, to press it out. I was wondering if anyone has done this before and what kit they had used? Or if I can just go find the right pipe size and buy just that part instead of another whole kit.

I don't really know the size pipe I need, can't take the balljoint to any store cuz I can't get it off yet. The pip I have measures 1 3/4 " inner diameter, and is just a bit too small.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Troy Troy

Reply to
Troy

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I read the site you linked, he turned his dana30 upside down and pressed them out with a BFH? not sure what that is, but mine's still connected to the jeep.

The press kit I have has easily gotten the upper ones out, and pressed the new ones in... I even pulled it out again to get to the bottom easier.

The way the bottom of the d30 is where the bottom of the ball joint won't allow me to get close with the larger pipe. I've been stuck at this part for 2 day now :(

The 01 factory service manual says I need the special tool kit #6289.

Can't find it anywhere. Where do I get the tools in the service manual?

Reply to
Troy

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Yes, but it pops those freakin ball joints out soo sweet. ;-)

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Ok well I'm gonna go get a bfh monday, hammer them out, i'm tired of looking for the "proper" tools. Not sure if they exist now.

Well then, since the wheels are off, i measured my backspacing on the rims... 4 inches. Can't remember if thats good (4 inch lift 33x12.50's on

15x10 rims). I don't rub at full turn. I think I remember something about 3 1/2 inches of backspacing should be the way to go? I may be wrong.

I also notice that the lower ball joints are the ones that are really wore out, and they didn't have a zerk fitting, the new ones do. Maybe this is why they gave out so soon?

Reply to
Troy

You likely will need an axle stand under the lower arm so it sits solid when you hit it. I would be soaking it with a good penetrating oil as well.

Good luck!

Mike

Troy wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I just removed the ball joints from a fifteen year old axle using a u-joint press (the big c-clamp type thingy) and assorted bits of scrap tubing, 5/16 plate, and a socket or two. The only hard part was balancing the stack of bits while tightening up the press. I orgininally tried a BMFH, but I was a little worried about damaging things since the ball joints didn't seem to want to move.

/Peter

Reply to
Peter Pontbriand

Yup, I tried the hammer with a length of solid round steel stock I got from a machinist buddy... didn't get them to budge. Finally I said **** it and put the puller on them, and tightened as tight as my 180lb body could throw myself, then hammered (bfh) on top of the puller. Almost broke the puller but WOOOO they're out now and tomorrow morning I finish putting it back together.

I had to take the axles back out cuz I put a zerk fitting on the bottom ball joints, then greased them and put the axles back in, but when they're back in the ujoints will hit the fittings when they move... I have to put in the plug fitting to just seal them up. DOH!

Thanks for all your help guys, I was about to give up and tow it to a shop.

Reply to
Troy