Bendix should never have been allowed to partner with Renault

Or the continuing saga of the hiccuping '89 XJ.

I got the new ICM installed and it didn't help a bit.

30 seconds after first start after the install and the durn thing died.

Oh, it did restart ... after sitting for an hour, so I double checked everything ... except fuel rail pressure.

So I let it sit a while, restarted (it chugged and missed for about 3 minutes), died quickly, and I bled the fuel rail and the fuel dribbled out.

I had an epiphany on top of my headache: new fuel filter but no pressure?? Gotta be the pump.

So I dug out my spare pump from a '92 XJ and replaced the pump I had put in from my old '88 XJ when I replaced it needlessly (The '88's issue was the fuel line pulling off the pump due to the lack of the stabilizing cone on the bottom) because the pump went suddenly out on the '89.

Well, it started and ran pretty smooth other than one hiccup at 40 mph after running for over thirty minutes.

Still, I'm going to try short runs for a few days to be sure.

God!!! How I miss Carter carbs, Mopar electronic ignition and TorqueCommand (Chrysler TorqueFlites drilled for AMC engines) 3 speed automatics.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

It shut down completely this A.M. and wouldn't restart for an hour.

Anybody want to buy an XJ cheap???

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran