please help!!! cant get camry to stay running

After a 45 minute freeway trip I was looking for a parking space when the accellerator became unresponsive and the car died about 3 minutes later and would then crank but not start. 8 hrs later I successfully started the car and drove it about three blocks before it died the same way as before. I towed the car home and since then the car will start and run for about 15 seconds at a time every three or four hours before dying. I removed the fuel filter and found that I could blow through it fairly easily. Service manual suggests shorting the fuel pump circuit through the diagnostic box and then feeling for pressure in the hose above the filter. When I do this, I can hear the pump making noise in the fuel tank, but I can't feel any pressure in the line. What's going on?

Reply to
n9643750

=A0Service manual suggests shorting the fuel pump circuit through the diagnostic box and then feeling for pressure in the hose above the filter. =A0When I do this, I can hear the pump making noise in the fuel tank, but I can't feel any pressure in the line. =A0What's going on?

-------- Is this an older car where there could be rust in the tank clogging the inlet? Before you said you're not getting any fuel pressure, I would have suspected an electrical condition appearing with the engine hot. One would expect more fuel demand on the freeway than while looking for a parking space. Doesn't quite sound right. Maybe try double checking for spark before continuing to trouble shoot the fuel system. Factory manual suggests using a hot air gun on the distributor or coil to simulate engine heat while testing.

Reply to
Daniel

Check your fuel pressure, on a 91 it should be 33-37lb, or fuel pressure regulator or you are getting to low a voltage at idle to run the pump properly , 12v is minimum.

Reply to
m Ransley

Check battery and cables.

Reply to
Mike R

Look into the ignition module.. sounds like it from this angle.

Reply to
Eric F

He said he removed the fuel line and cant feel any pressure so if he has the minimum 12v look there before an ignition module, Also a coils fail often not ignition modules.

Reply to
m Ransley