Best Brake shoes and hardware kit 1994 YJ?

Hello. While slowly taking apart my newly owned 94 YJ for refurbishing with POR15 the frame and body, I decided to do a rear wheel check since I have the rear up in the air. I need new brake shoes and the hardware could use replacing (springs etc). Who is using what on rear YJ drum brakes. I've used Mintex pads in the past for my VW but I would like to get a brake hardware kit too. Any recommendations are very welcome.

BTW, the brakes don't look like too much of a PITA to work with. I will just use needle nose vise-grips.

POR15 works great but man, I think I just lost 10 years of my life. :-(

Not done yet... :(

Thanks...

Reply to
Peter Parker

Rear shoes on YJs & TJs really last a long time. I really recommend you stay with factory components unless there's some reason other than cost not to do so.

Before I replaced the axles on my 94 YJ with Dynatrac units the thing had around 50k on the original rear shoes and they weren't more than 50% worn. In fact, the front pads were replaced at 30k just to do it and had more than

50% left. Long lasting, if somewhat wheezy brakes.
Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

I will probably do that but I wanted to make sure that there wasn't anything out there which would be better. OEM pads for the VW were so dusty, I had to switch to Mintex Reds which were basically OEM without the dust.

Rear brakes always last longer than front except if you have ABS and it gets used a lot. For example VW Passat and New Beetle. The rears get eaten because of premature ABS (NB) or too heavy a vehicle (Passat).

Reply to
Peter Parker

Update. I just ordered the OEM shoes but the hardware kit is not available at the dealer. My dealer gets them from an outside parts store.

Reply to
Peter Parker

I have had pretty good performance from Bendix brake parts.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Your adjusters couldn't have been working man.

I go through two rear sets for every one front on both of my Jeeps.

Mike

"Gerald G. McGeorge" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Raybestos all the way... My brother swears by Performance Friction.

Reply to
Big Daddy

Could be, the stock brakes on it were really marginal with 33's. The brakes worked fine around town, but when you really needed them on the trail, like in steep terrain, the pedal had to be mashed nearly all the way to the floor.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge