Re: YJ written off to buy or not to buy

> I posted my TJ in the newsgroup here a few weeks ago, and now it's sold (for > a lot less than I originally paid for it). I'm going back to school this > term, and the little lady wants to get either an older Toyota/Nissan pickup. > I found a 1989 YJ, but it has been written off (and repaired). It has new > paint, looks good, runs nice. The YJ is in my price range, but I'm just > wondering what you guys feel about buying written off vehicles, and if I > should do that or not. Or even things I should look around for when buying > an older YJ (1989 YJ Islander). > > Thanx guys!
Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I bought a 94 Sahara YJ and it needs a lot of little things. Coolant system rebuild :0), new body mounts, new bracket for tranny mount, refurbishing frame, front bumper and towing hitch with POR15. Also POR15ing the inside once I remove the rug. Need all new spring bumps. Lots of little stuff but the drive train and engine are great at 189500 miles. I got it much less than 10% of original MSRP not including tax. MSRP was $18340 or something like that. I got the window sticker with it.

Take it for a test drive and make sure you like the way it drives. That's what I did.

Reply to
Peter Parker

I assume a "written off" vehicle means it was either in a flood or totalled in an accident? I'd avoid them like the plague! Flooded vehicles are sure to give you electrical problems and accident totalled ones are usually put back togther with inferior parts. I have friends in the body business and they've attested to just how inferior the parts can be. Avoid it at all cost!

Reply to
Big Daddy

I had my CJ-7 totaled by a spinnig car about three yeas ago. I bought it back from the insurance company for $300 and still had $2,000 from the settlement. I had the frame straightened for $300 at a Jeep dealership, put a new fender and a heavier bumper on the front, new radiator support rods and bent out a fan blade. I should get it repainted but it is now my spare vehicle and weekend toy so I have been putting it off.

It is licensed as a self assembled vehicle but I feel that it is stronger now tha before the accident. If you are looking at a rebuild, there is not too much you can hide in a YJ I would feel confident is buying a rebuild IF everything works, the frame, axels, and wheels are true, and the diff covers are pulled to check for water damage.

Reply to
Swede4198

Check the tranny out good, if it's a six it has the Peugeot 5 speed, one of the worst transmissions ever made! If it still shifts good, and doesn't pop out of reverse, I would still get it if the price was good. Just be aware that you may be changing transmissions eventually Tookie

Reply to
Tookie

Only the early 89's had the Peugot. Everything from March 89 on had the AX15 in the 6 cylinder.

Trust me, I have one.

Reply to
Jeepaholic