Different color springs in Drum brake Hardware kit.

Why are there different color spring in a drum brake hardware kit ? Are there different strengths of return springs for the primary and secondary shoes. ? They seem about the same, except one loops over the other loops under the ancchor post.

The bottom spring that goes to one shoe and the self adjuster can only fit there.

Anybody having knowledge about this topic would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

One should be longer than the other, if you didn't already remove the old ones, compare the new ones to the existing ones for proper installment.

Reply to
pater

I have a set here in front of me. The only difference I can see is the long hook shape. One, the darker green/yellow has it's hook slightly more off set with a larger opening on it. I would be guessing this one goes on last.

If you put the green and yellow springs on top of each other, you will see the hook shanks are the same with the end of the greener one bent one wire width farther out. So if the springs are on a post, they will be in perfect line with each other from the large hook's shank to the small hook end.

Mike

Denny B wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain