Binding noise from the rear (TJ '01) - Update

Thanks to all who replied to my original post.

I went and bought the synthetic oil from the dealer because no other auto parts store was open today. I took the front diff cover off and the oil was very dark (almost black). I washed the insides with a cleaner as everything was completely black as well and put everything back together and added the synthetic 75W-140 gear oil.

I tried taking the rear diff cover off but could not manage to get my hands around the top bolts. Its a stock height currently and the gas tank was the biggest culprit. So I went and got a cheap siphon pump to take as much oil out as possible. I think I only managed about one litre (half the total quantity). Again the oil was extremely dirty and had a funny smell of almost like mud and oil mixture. Instead of putting the expensive synthetic oil in now, I topped it up with mineral 80W-90 and the hypoid gear oil additive. I'll run it this way for a thousand kms and change the rear properly next month. This should act like flushing oil.

I test drove for about 20 minutes and made several slow and slightly faster figure eights in an empty parking lot. The feel has completely changed, it is running very quietly and a lot of the vibrations that I thought were normal have gone away as well. I think the previous owner had never had the diff oil changed, even though the services were all done by the dealer.

Thanks TW

Reply to
TW

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

The rear axles must hang to gain access to those top bolts. Lift the vehicle and support the frame so that the axle hangs down as far as possible.

Reply to
CRWLR

Good idea CRWLR! I was wondering how I was going to get that rear cover off.

Good tip.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Thanks for the idea. I'll get some decent 3 ton stands soon and try it again in a couple of weeks to let the rear diff oil get some old dirt out.

Cheers TW

Reply to
TW

Nah! I got mine off without doing that.

Unless his axle/differential is different than my D35c... in which case I am wrong .

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

Mine is Dana 44, thus the problem. Its pumpkin is bigger in size.

TW

Reply to
TW

: > > The rear axles must hang to gain access to those top bolts. Lift the : > > vehicle and support the frame so that the axle hangs down as far as : > > possible. : >

: > Nah! I got mine off without doing that. : >

: > Unless his axle/differential is different than my D35c... in which case I : > am wrong . : >

: > -jeff : : Mine is Dana 44, thus the problem. Its pumpkin is bigger in size. : Okay, now you're just bragging LOL

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Nah, they are all the same (bigger) size in NZ ;-). Just got lucky with that or else that would have been another upgrade in the pipeline. I have put a spreadsheet together to budget for everything and its being coded based on priority (high / moderate / low) and timeframe desired (6 / 12 /

18 months). I think the very first one would be switching to Old Man Emu suspension, then 32 inch mud terrains. I think I have mentally prepared my wife that its a life long process of continuous improvement, so she should be brave and not question my sanity so frequently and regularly.

TW

Reply to
TW

TW; If you have a Dana 44 rear, don't you have a drain plug in the bottom of the pumpkin back from the pinion flange? If you want to simply replace the fluid without dealing with the cover, this should do it for you. If your Dana44 is the same as my Dana44? Bob

Reply to
Robert Brace

my export TJ doesn't.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It is a Dana 44, but no drain plugs. We live in a strange world. It might be another Jeep thing!

TW

Reply to
TW

There aren't enough real jeeps to go around!

Reply to
Joseph P

I think the newer D44s from the factory have that drain plug (my friend's '03 Rubi has that plug, too). However, the older TJs (like my '97 Sahara) with a factory D44 don't have any way of draining besides either a suction pump or removing the pumpkin cover.

Reply to
Bob

I didn't have to do that. But I do have a 4" suspension lift. (Yes, I have a D44 rear.) I did have to use an interesting assortment of socket extensions on a couple of the bolts, but nothing crazy.

Reply to
Bob

I'd want to take the cover off anyhow when changing the diff fluid to see what crap is in there ..

Dave Milne

Bob; You have solved the mystery -- mine is an '03 Rubi and it too has drain plugs, both front & rear. Like TW says "it must be a Jeep thing". Bob

Reply to
Robert Brace

Look on the top. Being in New Zealand, maybe they installed the rear end upside down? ;-)

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

I am not that mechanically challenged....

It was still assembled in the US! They just got the steering on the wrong (or the right) side. It has its quirks, my 4WD shifter is on the passenger side, in your case it would be closer to the driver - in my case its away from me. Opposite is true for the parking/emergency/hand brake. Steering box skid plates don't fit because the box is on the wrong, as such needs a mirror image of the skid plate.

Other than that, everything works great.

TW

Reply to
TW