brake controller recommendations

I need to occasionally tow a small trailer with my 2005 Rubicon Umlimited. One of the places I will be towing is on my shooting lease, which has some fairly steep hills (~30 degrees) with dirt or crushed rock roads. I believe a brake controller would be a big help in those instances, as I do not wish the Jeep to be pushed down the hill nor do I wish the trailer brakes to lock up and cause the trailer to slide past me. I'm familar with the operating characteristics of the thre basic types (time delay, inertia, and proportional) of controllers. I have ruled out the inertia type due to the inherent bouncing around in this terrain. I know the time delay would probably perform satisfactorily. I _believe_ the proportional type would also perform well, plus it would be better for panic stops during highway travel to the lease. As I have no experience with brake contollers on Jeeps, however, I'd like opinions, preferably backed up by real-life experience, from the group.

1) Which type of controller would be preferable?

2) Which specific manufacturers and models do you recommend?

Right now, I am leaning toward the Tekonsha Prodigy, but I am also looking at the BrakeSmart controller, a proportional type of controller actuated by a pressure transducer installed into the braking system and not using accelerometer technology. This might actually be bset for rough, hilly terain, IMHO.

TIA, mdh

Reply to
Michael D. Henderson

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Does the Rubi have ABS ?

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Hmmm... Well, I just ASSumed it does, but now that you've asked, I'll need to check to make sure. I've got a 24 hour work shift coming up in a few hours so it'll be a bit before I can get back with an answer, though.

mdh

P.S. - One of these days we're going to take a trip to Scotland to visit the Henderson clan. Whereabouts do you hail from?

Reply to
Michael D. Henderson

Edinburgh, but I shuttle backwards and forwards to Birmingham where I work. Drop me an email when you are coming over !

Dave Milne

Reply to
Dave Milne

My Unlimited Rubi does not have abs.

Patrick ?Ô

Reply to
Patrick Ô¿Ô

Well, I just checked, and it appears that ABS is an option for the Sport model only. Check the "additional options" tab at

I will certainly let you know when we come over. Right now it looks to be in about 3 to 5 years, however. OTOH, if you find yourself near Arlington, Texas (Dallas-Fort Worth area) we'd be pleased to host you. It might surprise you to know that I don't own a ranch, or ride a horse to work, or own any oil wells, however. :-)

mdh

Reply to
Michael D. Henderson

Thanks, I've never been to Texas (although I've been close to it). I'm still on the look out for some really hot chili ; the ones in AZ or NM just don't cut it ! As for the horse, I have a friend in AZ that took me out riding in the desert - that's one damn fast 4x4 ! Anyhow, in 3-5 years, I should be full time in Edinburgh.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne