Building a 'new' CJ7

I saw on the Discovery Channel a company out of California building 'new'

1969 Camaros (Unique Performance). They're getting $125,000 for them. They start with a junk from a boneyard, presumably using the VIN and shell.

I was thinking (probably a mistake - but...) one could pretty much build a Jeep from the ground up with parts from JC Whitney and others.

Is anyone doing this?

Reply to
Steve Foley

I haven't heard of any Jeeps being made yet, although like you say it seems there's enough parts to do so.

I did see a company recently doing this with Land Cruiser FJ 40's. Looks like the company may be TLC,

Look for the new replica fj40.

Reply to
Clay B Carley

LOL!

Yup, ONE PIECE AT A TIME.....

Seriously though, there are companies that were under license from Jeep still making brand new CJ's.

Mahindra is one:

And Mitsubishi
Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

These links are what got me thinking about this dumb idea.

You probably couldn't import one of these into the US. I doubt they meet safety and emissions standards.

But.....

If you were to start with a 1978 CJ7, and replace everything, you've essentially got a brand new 1978 CJ7.

I remember hearing (a long time ago) that to build a brand new 1973 Ford Pinto one part at a time would cost $14,000. At the time, I think a brand new 1973 Ford Pinto went for arounf $4,000.

Reply to
Steve Foley

This may help you out a little. I didn't bother checking all the dealer sites.

Chris

Right now not many since convenience and do-it-for-me is king-hence the '69 Camaros for Ferrari prices. When the stock market and consumer credit crashes more will be amenable to this. Kit cars have become nonexistent in the US, for example, but in England they are stilla viable business. The Brits do not allow banks to finance bums and expect to get paid.

But it's very possible. Two or three companies make aftermarket frames and several others make aftermarket fiberglass or aluminum bodies. Just buy one of each and add engine, trans, transfer case, axles, driveshafts, wiring harness, springs, steering box, front end parts, brakes, plumbing, fuel tank, and a few hundred little bits and you are in business.

If you are a good scrounger it is not necessarily expensive, because you can get all the items used.

The key is to do it in a state where you can get a replica or street rod title in the model year of the vehicle it is made to look like or resemble. That way once titled with a state VIN and ID plate you can go to any other state and it is a early model vehicle.

Reply to
RapidRonnie

I was thinking this isn't much different from someone doing a frame-off rebuild of a rustbucket. The biggest problem is getting all the nit-noid bolts and parts that most rebuilders reuse.

For that much money I'd buy myself a nice used high performance sports car. Like this one. :D And still have enough left for one years insuance. :/

DougW

Who would want that? There's no CUP HOLDERS!!

Reply to
XS11E

You mean apart from individuals like us?

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Yes. Is anyone building brand new Jeeps in the US besides DC as a commercial venture?

It sounds like an interesting business venture, for someone with a ton of cash burning a hole in their pocket.

Reply to
El Maximo

Not CJs but MBs and GPWs:

"This is where we come in. We build brand new war era jeeps from new old stock, rebuilt and reproduction parts."

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Surprised no one mentioned this but Spike TV's Extreme 4x4 show built a Jeep from scratch with an aluminum body, they called it project AJ.

Jeff DeWitt

LOL, I like that show, but for some reason the guy on that show irritates the hell out of me. I remember the series though. Also, wouldn't it be nice to have a girlfriend or wife like Jessie on the show? :-) She makes it easier to put up with her co-host.

Chris

Most popular restoration projects have available bolt kits. In fact using all new bolts and twiddly bits is the best reason to do something like this.

Reply to
RapidRonnie

The guys OK but yes, Jessie is a doll... whoever her significant other is he is a very lucky guy.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Keyword "popular", there is no such kit for my Studebaker pickup!

But I agree, if such a kit is available for the vehicle your working on by all means buy it, you won't regret it.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

So YOU'RE the guy, huh? I met up with your Studebaker pickup back in

1949 (?) or so. Result = arm broken in two places, broken collar bone and cracked shoulder blade.

Next time I play destruction derby with a pickup, I probably shouldn't be on foot?

Reply to
XS11E