Can't get it to idle...

History: '76 CJ5 with 304, had engine fire. I replaced all lifters, replaced intake manifold with Edelbrock Performer, replaced carb with Holley Truck avenger 670. Replaced ignition with DUI. Finally got it to start last weekend but it wasn't idling well. I got in it today and it started right up but still wouldn't idle. Pulled it into the garage and monkeyed with the timing a little bit but that didn't seem to help. My problem is that it won't idle long enough for me to put the timing gun on it to see where it is currently timed or to check for vacuum leaks. If I continually wiggle the throttle just enough to pump a little more gas in then I can keep it running around 1200 RPMs but as soon as I let it try to idle it conks out. Even when I turned the idle screw all the way in to try to get it to idle super high for a minute. It won't idle at any RPM. What I mean is it won't maintain any constant rpm without me pumping the gas a little bit. I'm a novice at this stuff, but seem to remember hearing about an accelerator pump on a carb that is supposed to play an important role in the idle process? Could my timing being off and several backfires through the carb somehow have messed up my accelerator pump or am I way off base? Any tips on how to approach this? I was going to look for vacuum leaks and then try to adjust the timing with my timing light to what the Chilton's manual says and then was going to try adjusting my air/fuel mixture some but I'm stuck since it won't idle and I can't do any of these things. Thanks in advance for input/advice.

Reply to
Shaggie

You can check the timing just using the starter to turn the engine over. You will still get the flash when # 1 fires and it will light up the notch just fine. You might want to paint the notch with white out or something like that. That will make it easier to see.

I would do that first.

Then once the timing is right or really close, you can address the vacuum or carb issues.

Mike

Shaggie wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain