can you paint the fender flares?

is it possible to paint the fender flares? i'd rather have true black flares than the UV beaten gray that mine have become... is it possible to get some spray paint and just paint them black again? if so is there a specific kind of paint that would work?

thanks,

will

Reply to
<WLAFFERTY

This was answered before and someone used a fine scotchbrite pad to scuff and then coated with something. I was actually thinking about this on my way home yesterday and couldn't remember what the 'something' was. I think it would be easiest to remove them to scuff and recoat, easier than trying not to scratch the paint.

Looking forward to the other responses.

Reply to
Harkin Banks

thanks for the link. i did see the black chrome as the last one on the product list... fyi

will

Reply to
<WLAFFERTY

Reply to
Aaron Graham

Don't agree at all - plenty of cars come with painted plastic that doesn't crack. Some of the small Euro cars even have plastic wings (how nasty is that ??) which will deflect a couple of inches without cracking !! You need plenty of plasticiser in the mix though and that is expensive ( ~ 75 gbp per litre ).

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: > is it possible to paint the fender flares? i'd rather have true black : > flares than the UV beaten gray that mine have become... is it possible to : > get some spray paint and just paint them black again? if so is there a : > specific kind of paint that would work? : >

: > thanks, : >

: > will

Reply to
Dave Milne

thanks... how long do you think it would last between peel's or repaints?

this is my main ride and i have 31x10.5's on '97 TJ would it be street legal with them off?

will

Reply to
<WLAFFERTY

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I think it'd be tough to get a coating of paint to stick on the plastic.

Maybe an epoxy type spray on like a Linex bedliner coating would adhere.

I've just applied some of the Wet n Shine stuff. Looks fine until it dries out. Then just reapply it.

Six of one, half dozen of the other...

Jeff

snipped-for-privacy@aust>

Reply to
jhultman

I was at Home Depot yesterday buying paint for the house when I saw a can of Plastic Spray Paint by a company called Krylon.

Reply to
Johnathan Marrin

I've used Back to Black, think Mothers makes it.

It doesn't last more than a week or two, but it sure smells nice - just like coconuts - looks like coconut milk too - gee, now I'm wondering...

Reply to
redrubi

i think i'm looking for a more permanent solution than something that will dry out. is linex something you can do yourself or do you have to get someone to do it?

will

Reply to
<WLAFFERTY

Line-X is done at a shop. I roughed up my XJ's flares and sprayed them with several coats of Duplicolor Truck Bed Liner, not worth a damn for spraying in a truck bed but ot worked OK on the flares, Preparation is the key, make sure they are well-roughed. The stuff can be bought at Auto Zone, Meijer (in the Midwest), probably just about any larger auto parts store would have it in the paint department. One can will probably net you two coats on each flare.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

I painted my fenders two years ago, and they still look good. I went to a auto store and got a can of plastic prep its a spray can . then get a can of bumper paint. I found the paint in a small local store so im sure that pep boys or any other auto store would have it. the brand name of mine is SEM Rick

Reply to
RJDJCD

Not sure on painting, but with all the people swapping their stock flares for wider ones there's bound to be some for sale out there. There's definitely some on ebay.

Reply to
Wry-mouth

You should paint them with the same paint the manufacturer uses and the same variety (ie. RM Diamont or Dupont Emron) and make sure to add an elastomer agent to make it flexible for the urethane or it will be brittle and won't last. You also should use something like a plastic prep agent to ensure that it sticks to the plastic.

Sounds as if you don't know much about autobody, so I'd advise you to seek professional help with painting them.

Reply to
Big Daddy

It's a job for a Linex Dealer, BTW I'm not associated to. Just like what I've seen of their product. You would have to ask them how likely it would stick to plastic. I know they use the stuff on boat decks for a better footing. But of course fiberglass is different. Hmmm, There's a linex shop downtown. I'll do some footwork, it's EOB here soooo... manana.

If there's a Linex shop around maybe you can ask them what it would cost to mix a little extra on their next job.

Jeff

snipped-for-privacy@aust>

Reply to
jhultman

Reply to
Jim McGeough

Just wondering why the CJ and YJ flares dont look like the TJ flares? I am not talking about shape but the way they fade/wether/oxidize.

Brand Howard

Brand Howard

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

is this the kind of heat gun you used? as in would it work?

will

Reply to
<WLAFFERTY