Re: Faded Fender flares, help

Hey John, We just went over this, go back a week or two and see the thread, and don't post pics, or any other non text document, here. That is what alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4 is for.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ The above was inspired by Bill, though not as eloquent!

-

- Joe Pribe NC jpribe 'at' nc.rr.com

Reply to
Joseph P

Sorry, I apologize for the picture, I haven't been on for over a month, I didn't see anything regarding the Fender Flares in the threads that came up. Could someone please give me a quick recap?

Reply to
John

This should help:

Chris

Remove the flares from the vehicle and use a heat gun (carefully, and watch out for the vapors.) Or, Mother's black magic(?) or Black Again, something like that. DON'T use Armor All, as it is crack for plastic (yes, I mean the drug...)

All, did I forget anything, as I have already removed the thread from my box.

Reply to
Joseph P

There's no need to remove the flares to use a heat gun, I've been using a heat gun on my flares for years and common sense keeps the paint next to the flares from getting damaged.

Though I have advised people over the years to not use Armorall due to what it used to do to vinyl, that's no longer the case as Armorall changed their formulation. It no longer causes vinyl to crack as it once did.

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford To email, remove 'me' from my email address N6TAY, PP-ASEL See the Geezer Jeep at

-- Jerry Bransford To email, remove 'me' from my email address N6TAY, PP-ASEL See the Geezer Jeep at

Or, Mother's black magic(?) or Black

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I don't know about yours, but I tried the heat gun to the flares while still on the vehicle, and it did not work out so well. And yes, I used common sense, kept the gun moving, etc., and still damaged paint...so either my heat gun is REALLY hot ( of course, I can start a

2x4 on fire with it, neat party trick!) or it is cheap, OEM paint.

I didn't say Armor All makes plastic crack, I said it is crack for plastic. If you use Armor All once, you can't ever stop using it (get the comparison to the drug crack now???) At least that is the story I have always heard (and heard repeated here several times), so I have never used it.

Reply to
Joseph P

While once true, it is no longer. It took me a while to believe that Armorall no longer has the problem it used to have but they definitely did change their formulation. I still don't use it but I no longer advise against its use. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
twaldron

As long as we are on a fender flare topic, I do have a question. I have a

2000 Wrangler that I purchased used. I recently got the pressure washer a bit too close to one of my fender flares and I peeled a thin coat of 'something' from one of the flares. Do the flares have some sort of protective coating that I peeled off or is this thin coating some sort of paint that the previous owner applied at some point?

Reply to
JeePenn

I couldn't possibly begin to guess unless I saw your flares first hand...what is your guess?

Reply to
Joseph P

To rephrase my question, are fender flares on a 2000 Wrangler a solid material or is it possible that I can peel off a thin layer of something that was originally there from the factory?

Reply to
JeePenn

They're solid. If something is peeling off, the previous owner painted them or something similar.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I concur...