Carfax worth it?

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Why would they supply it? They want to sell the vehicle presumably. I have never had a dealership refuse.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

That is true, I could never make a living as a salesman.

That being said I have received CarFaxs on every car I have considered for a number of years now and have only paid for the one on a car I bought from a private owner.

In this area (SW Ohio) there is no resistance, by legitimate dealerships, to provide this service.

Reply to
billy ray

I have purchased one for a car that I bought from a private party. I have never had a dealership refuse to provide one (SW Ohio area)

Perhaps an unscrupulous dealer might refuse.

Reply to
billy ray

Saw it, I don't have it saved in outlook but I have the hard copy so here it goes:

VIN 1J4FA59S21P355702 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Date Mileage Source Comment

4/3/2001 12 Service Misc. service

8/9/2001 3444 Service Electrical serviced

10/30/2001 5929 Service Vehicle serviced

4/12/2002 5936 Service Vehicle serviced

9/15/2002 State of Michigan Registered as corporate vehicle

9/25/2002 5950 Dealer inventory Vehicle sold

9/27/2002 State of Michigan Title or registration issued; first owner reported title#181N270063

12/17/2002 State of Michigan Title issued or updated Correction to record #156N3510208

5/12/2003 14,695 Dealer Inventory, Vehicle offered for sale Utica, MI

5/12/2003 State of Michigan Title or registration issued, new owner reported title #602P132003 Macomb, MI

9/28/2004 35,050 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale Sterling Hgts, MI

9/28/2005 35143 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale PLymouth, MI

9/28/2004 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale Brighton, MI

11/2/2004 Auto Auction Sold at auction in Michigan, listed as a dealer vehicle

1/17/2005 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale PLymouth, MI

2/23/2005 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale Brighton, MI

2/23/2005 35165 State of Michigan Title issued or updated, new owner reported
Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Actually we didn't buy this one, this was a report I ordered last April on a TJ we were considering for the wifey. I'm guessing it was used as a dealer demo until it was sold to the first owner.

Anyway, you see in Michigan at least, title transfers do show up on Carfax reports.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

proof!

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

----- Original Message ----- From: "L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III" Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2005 5:57 PM Subject: Re: Carfax worth it?

Here is the full report of the records you emailed to me for your 89 Ford:

DATE ODOMETER INFORMATION GENERAL REPORTED READING SOURCE COMMENTS

01/18/1991 44,892 California Passed emissions inspection Inspection Station San Diego, CA 01/18/1991 44,891 California Failed emissions inspection Inspection Station San Diego, CA 01/21/1993 46,970 California Passed emissions inspection Inspection Station San Diego, CA 02/06/1997 89,106 California Passed emissions inspection Inspection Station San Diego, CA 02/04/1999 113,338 California Passed emissions inspection Inspection Station Oceanside, CA >

Where is the title transfer on this report?

"Each title or registration record which appears on a Carfax report does not necessarily indicate a change in ownership. New titles and registrations can be created for name, address and lienholder changes; ownership changes; vehicle status changes; registration activity; title corrections; and lost titles. "

So it would seem a change in ownership should generate a record. Maybe California law is different. The carfax report I posted specifically indicated 3 owners for that particular Jeep, but I did not copy it to my post.

Send me a fax # and I will fax you the report from which I got the info I posted. I can't send you the original email, as I already told you I did not save it in Outlook, and it's no longer on the mailserver. I had to hand type all that info. If you have an open Carfax account, just plug in the VIN for the Jeep I posted about & see for yourself.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Went late saturday night, dealer got me the carfax.Was a 1 owner and was a lease vehicle. 1 minor accident (state of WI says minor accident is bumper/grille or body panel. No safety impacts to the vehicle.) The dealer couldn't tell me what was fixed on it. I told them that they would need to contact the previous owner and find out what happened. Within 5 minutes the owner of the dealership was leaving a message for the original owner to call him about the accident. Oddly enough, there were several title changes, and a warranty repair for the 4.0L maniforld debris shield. They told me they'd look the vehicle over again more closely after finding out about the accident.I told the dealer that until I knew what the accident was, I wouldn't be discussing $.

Reply to
Chad Fraker