panhandling for carfax report

I was hoping that someone could run a carfax report on a miata's VIN that I am looking at. I was going to go ahead and subscribe if I find any more to look at, but I am too much of a cheap bastard to pay $25.00 for 1 report.

Please reply to the above e-mail if you can help me out.

Thanks!

Pat

Reply to
pws

I take it your 96M is toast.

Reply to
Mike

Ahhh, yes. That 80 pound or so deer managed to twist the frame slightly. I will probably be parting it out soon, I just need to figure out what parts I am keeping for the next miata, it might even be another '96M that I looked at, but I am almost looking for a change after 5 years anyway, though it still needs to be a 1990-1997 miata.

Pat '96M (RIP)

Reply to
pws

Good luck in the search man, I can identify with the hesitation to spend the $25. Hopefully someone with a subscription will step up and help you out.

Do I remember correctly, you're in the Austin TX area?

Chris Sugar Land, TX

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Yes, I am in Austin, home to Lime Creek Drive, our "Little Dragon".

I am not normally a cheapskate on things like these, but it looks like I might need to run one report only, which is $20.00. I have never used carfax before and am wondering if it is worth it. It looks like it will uncover any wrecks that were serious enough that the police were involved, but if I were to fix mine and sell it, I know that would not show up on carfax because there was no police report. (just me, my daughter and the deceased deer, no other witnesses). Since I am going to take the car I am looking to buy to a mechanic and/or bodyshop to have it checked out before buying it, I am just wondering if spending the extra $25.00 would be a waste of time. I will already be spending that on the inspection. I guess it might be worth the carfax report just to see where the car has been it's whole life.

By the way, if I do fix mine and sell it, I will mention the frame damage to the next buyer. The car wasn't technically totaled, it can be fixed and driven again, possibly even properly aligned with no real problems, but I don't ever keep a car once the frame has been bent at all.

Pat

Reply to
pws
91 Grand Marquis. Boght brand new. was broadsided in 95 and they would not total it. Instead, sent it to a metalworker guy who put it on some gizmo to stretch out the frame over 3 days, cost 2500, not to mention the body work. From then until 2001 when I got rid of it, it always pulled to the left, regardless of wheel alignment. Rear wheel drive with a big v8 that pulls to the left is not great in the rain, let me tell you. I know exactly how you feel. Good luck with your search. May the grin return to you soon.

Reply to
Classicred03

Carfax is a tool, but don't take it as gospel.

I know of 2 instances of vehicles that show perfect clean Carfax's with NO mention of an accident. 1 was TOTALLED by the ins co, and the other had $8,000 worth of body work. Police reports were written on both, and both were processed through insurance....

I know of yet another vehicle that has over 140,000 miles on it, yet Carfax shows the mileage at 80k..

The way I view a Carfax report is If it shows damage, or a problem on the title, it is probably true.

IF it shows a clean title, and no problems, it *might* be true, but investigate further if possible.

ALTHOUGH!! I had this happen to me on one of my own vehicles!

Bought a used pickup with 89,000 miles on it. The dyslexic smog check dude typed in 98,000 miles. I registered it, and the two records (one from DMV and one from smog shop) both hit Carfax.

I pulled a carfax on it a few months later just for giggles (I had paid for a 1 month ulimited sub for my Miata search). Anyway, the carfax shows WARNING - ODOMETER ROLLBACK! because of the snafu!

Now, I don't know if I have any avenue to get it corrected or not, although I don't really care because it's a beater truck and not worth a heck of a lot anyway, but the point is it COULD easily happen on any car, and you'd be screwed!

So, like I say... don't take Carfax for gospel. just more information!

good luck

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Thanks much, I drove dozens of miatas before I found a good one that wasn't priced like it was new last time, and it looks like it might be that way again. I guess I'll sign up so I can run every VIN. I had forgotten that the car has VIN stickers on the nose and the trunk lid as well as the fenders and a few other places. That could be very helpful in helping to determine if it has been smashed before.

Pat

Reply to
pws