Stolen '68 Westfalia

Sometime between about 9:30 last night and 10:30 this morning, my '68 Westfalia pop-top was stolen from in front of my apartment near Priest & University in Tempe, Arizona. I'd very, very, very much appreciate any leads as to where it is...my parents got it in '79, and it's the first car I ever drove....

It's white with a black stripe around the middle (that raised bit that hides the sliding door mechanism, etc.). The fiberglass of the top is patched at the very rear with some reddish-brown material. There's a year-old dent near the driver's side air intake from a drive-by SUV mirror strike. The rear bumper is a bit crinkled, and there's a little bit of buckling on the front of the car as well. It's got a front-mounted spare (which isn't in any shape to be driven on except for dire emergencies). The front of the pop-top is held down with some extra brass latches right above the windshield.

There's a solar panel mounted on the top, with leads going to a buss bar behind the driver's seat and to the engine compartment (where, many years ago, we once had a deep-cycle battery on the opposite side from the regular battery). The rear-facing seat has a port-a-potty in it. There's a spice rack where the table normally swings down; the table is stowed above the bed / back seat and still mounts in the same spot. The manual water pump is supplemented with a (broken-down but fixable) electric pump.

There's a week-old exhaust leak that I was going to have fixed this coming week; the car is quite loud right now. Also, the rear brakes need a fair amount of work, possibly replacement. It's due for a valve adjustment / tune-up / oil change / etc.; the car's not too likely to make it far without at least a little bit of work.

So, like I said, I'd really, really, really appreciate any help anybody might be able to offer. Feel free to call me at

480-966-9472 any time. If you reply by email, please also post a note to the group in case an over-eager spam catcher blocks it.

Thanks....

b&

Reply to
Ben Goren

You can post a picture here to get the word out a little more:

Good luck.

Reply to
Scott H

Thanks for the link and the wishes for luck. I just posted a picture there. Here's hoping it does some good....

Thanks,

b&

-- EAC Memographer BAAWA Knight of Blasphemy ``All but God can prove this sentence true.''

Reply to
Ben Goren

Damn. I hope that you Westy is returned.

Put this kit together to keep my ride from being taken. It has worked. Twice.

Reply to
DinnerAtMoes

She's been found! I got a call late yesterday (Saturday, Christmas Eve eve) afternoon from the Tempe police telling me that the Phoenix police had found her! Somebody in south Phoenix (south of Broadway between 32nd and 48th streets) reported an ``abandoned'' car, and it's mine.

The impound lot is closed up until Tuesday, what with Christmas and all, so I won't know until then what kind of shape she's in. But the police report supposedly says something to the effect that there's no obvious sign of damage or stripping or whatever...though the Tempe officer who called me said that she's ``not driveable.'' With luck, that's just due to lack of gas, but my insurance will cover damage (including, for example, a ``missing'' engine) if there is any. And I've got a damned good mechanic, so I'm not worried about getting her fixed up proper.

Makes me wonder if there really /is/ a Santa Claus. Best present I could ask for...short of not having her stolen in the first place, of course.

So thanks, everybody, for keeping your eyes out and for all the kind words. With any luck, the next white '68 VW Westy pop-top you see on the road will have me sitting behind the wheel.

Cheers,

b&

P.S. If you put up flyers or told other people, thank you! Thank you very much! But do please now take down the flyers and cancel the red alert.... b&

(Here's the orig > Sometime between about 9:30 last night and 10:30 this morning, my > '68 Westfalia pop-top was stolen from in front of my apartment > near Priest & University in Tempe, Arizona. I'd very, very, very > much appreciate any leads as to where it is...my parents got it in > '79, and it's the first car I ever drove.... >

Reply to
Ben Goren

Excellent news!

Santa DOES exist! :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Thats Great !!!

I'm realy pleased for you :-)

Reply to
tricky

yep congrats to you!!!! probably a torn up ign switch. keep us informed

Have a Happy Holiday!!! ;-)

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1