catalytic converter

Seeking the newsgroup wisdom on the following:

1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport (XJ, 4 liter, straight 6, manual tranny) 112K miles

A baffle inside the catalytic converter has come loose making for quite a rattle when shutting off the engine.

I'd like recommendations for an after market, freer flowing catalytic converter, cheaper would be nice too.

TIA - Jon

Reply to
Jon Blake

The 'baffle you with BS' noise is normally just the heat shield on the outside with a broken foot. You can either bend the offending foot out of the way or weld it back in place.

The shops have been telling me for 7 or 8 years now that our Cherokee's cat is bad because it had that noise when they hit it. BS, it still passes emissions with flying colors.

If it is actually dead, then I am sure someone here can chime in with the best replacement.

Mike

Mike Romain

You may want to check this out.

My son left his 97 at our house because he now lives on the west coast. Be fore he left he told me that he had a bad rattle. It was not the heat shield but the cat had self destructed inside. His 97 was not on the recall list for the cat but it was on the recall list for an OBC replacement. I replaced his exhaust and the cat had totally melted down.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

TNX very much for the below. At first I thought it might be a heat shield, as suggested by other posters. But, I really couldn't isolate any loose connection to the heat shield. So I do believe I have the misfortune of having one of these defective converters. I'll make a call to a local Jeep dealership. Something I rarely do as I do my own wrenching.

- Jon

Jon Blake

Best way to find a cat converter is to search for it on Google and eBay. I would suggest searching for "Cherokee Catalytic Converter" and doing another search with the part number.

Your cheapest bet would be to go with an aftermarket unit. I know they make one for a 1997 V-8 Cherokee. I'm not sure if an aftermarket one is available for the 6.

Good luck,

NT

Reply to
Nat Man

philthy

They're available all over the place, just do a google search. Also get a direct fit and you'll have no problems. I got one for my 96 for under $100 and it made a big difference. Also when they melt it's a sign that it's running too rich so replace the o2 sensors.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo