Ford Contour Catalytic Converter, 1997

A friend of mine has a Contour, I can get it for $150.
ALL it needs is a catalytic converter.
ALL?!?!? They start at $175!
The car has 197,000. I figured, pick up a cat for $70 and slap it in.
Is there anyway to cob a generic cat into this car?

Most states have yearly inspection and emission checks, some (like the state I live in) have neither. Some states, like California, make it mandatory that you get your cat from the factory and any rookie inspector will fail your car by not following that rule. Your circumstances depend on what state you live in. I'm not saying that you should break any state or national laws, but if you are allowed a generic cat, go for it. Of course, the big question is......what made the cat fail in the first place? If you haven't figured that out, you'll be doing this again in a few months, especially with an aftermarket cat.

197,000 miles will do it.....
Chris

Yes it's possible.. just not a great idea. OBD2 cats are more efficient and expensive. Tossing a generic cat can cause p0422 (i think?) a cat efficiency code and turn the light on. Do you have to get your car smogged where you live? HTH, ben
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 09:27:59 -0700, ben91932 wrote:

Anything from 1997 up requires plugging into the OBD-II connector and reading the contents of the ECU in order to pass. If it were a '96 it'd be no problem...