down shift noise

hello men, i have a 2003 sahara i bought last may. seems like when im driving and start to slow down for the stop sign or whatever, when it downshifts, its a pretty good clunk. dont drive it too much. has 2,000 (two thousand) miles on it. any ideas besides take it in or is it normal. six cylinder auto. thanks john jr

Reply to
john

I copied this TSB straight from

:

Make : JEEP Model : WRANGLER Year : 2003 Service Bulletin Num : 2100603A Date of Bulletin: AUG 01, 2003 NHTSA Item Number: 10003522 Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION Summary: TRANSMISSION HARSH 4-3 DOWNSHIFT. *TT

I believe I would head to the dealer on this one. They have probably seen this problem quite a bit to post a TSB. Most likely it's just a quick reprogramming of the computer in your Jeep to correct the shift points on the auto tranny. My 2004 Sahara does not have the harsh downshift issue, but wants to go into overdrive way to quickly for my driving habits. Thus, the engine wants to lug allot and gear shop too much. I typically just disengage the OD for in-town driving all together and believe it or not seem to get a little better gas mileage. This is what Chrysler gets for trying to use the same tranny for everything from mini-vans to Jeeps.

Regards,

GK

begin 666 spacer.gif M1TE&.#EA`0`!`)$!`/___P```/___P```"'Y! $```$`+ `````!``$```(" $3 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
GK