Limited Slip Diff

I noticed a chatter when turning that must be the Limited Slip Differential in my Bronco. The Bronco has 177,000 miles. Is there an additive that should be added to the oil that would prevent the chatter? The term 'chatter' is probably a poor description. Maybe 'groaning' is better.

Reply to
Mellowed

Differential

Most limited slip differentials require an additive, even with synthetic lubes. Some parts stores carry this as well as the Ford, Chrysler and GM dealers. You can use the GM and Chrysler types in a pinch because they are all pretty much the same. These are required for most LSD's to perform properly.

Chris

Ok, thanks. I'll check it out.

[...]

The stuff you need is called "friction modifier". You caqn find the stuff at almost any parts house in the world and probably always located near the gear lube. A 1/2 pint or so oughtta do the trick, if it actually IS the rear diff making the noise.

Randy Goolsby Bonafide Bronco Nut

Reply to
rokkinhorse

Thanks Randy. I found a 4 oz tube of a Sta-Lube product that worked. Some of that even spilled on the driveway, but it still worked. The old Bronco continues to purr.

Reply to
Mellowed

How old?

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

'92. Bought it new. 5.8L. I live in the mountains, Lake Arrowhead, CA specifically. 4 seasons. Pulled a travel trailer with it for 4 years. Just had the first transmission rebuild a couple thousand miles back. I just can't complain about the service it provided.

Reply to
Mellowed