Charging problem 90 XJ

You 'cannot' have tight clean battery cables with the volt drops you are reporting, something is not letting the power pass cleanly. This drop 'will' affect your charging to some degree if it isn't the cause of all the trouble.

Have you tried the meter on continuity to see if it will beep from the battery positive to the alternator positive? There is a fuse link between them that blows.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@MSN.COM wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I figured since there was only a difference of .05v between the relay post and the alt post continuity was ok. I am going to install new battery cables tonight. Thanks

Reply to
JRK58

Try the voltage difference from the alternator positive wire/bolt to the battery negative for a reading to compare with battery post to post reading.

This will tell you how much drop is in the positive line connections better. I then walk the meter back while holding the meter on battery negative. I go from alternator post, to the alternator wire eye loop, then to the copper in the wire, then to the relay eye loop, then the relay bolt, then the battery positive cable clamp, then the post itself.

Are you in the rust belt? I find some cables just up and crystallize, especially that mesh strap from the rear of the engine head to the firewall.

One other place to check for a bad ground is on the passenger side of the engine at the back. There is a bolt there with a mess of small wires hooking to it.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@MSN.COM wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I'm in Washington State, lots of rain but no salt on the roads.Wouldn't the jumper from battery neg to alternator case rule a ground problem out?.....Thanks, John

Reply to
JRK58

Not always, the small ones on the bolt on the block are the computer harness grounds and the route to the body could be compromised at the same time.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@MSN.COM wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Well, turns out it was the two wire plug to the alternator wasn't making a good contact. Sometimes its the simplest things that get by Me. I'd like to thanks all you Folks for the help, I'm sure everything I've learned will come in handy someday.

Reply to
JRK58

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III