check engine light,air bag,no speedometer or tach reading?

When Driving ocasionally gages go crazy. Starts with air bag light comes on, then check engine light, then the speedometer and tach goto Zero last the odometer reading blanks out and then reads no bus? Any suggestions for Repair?

Reply to
michael

michael did pass the time by typing:

Vehicle? Year?

TJ isn't the dash connector Other possibilities are loose battery terminals.

Reply to
DougW

A friend has a 98 TJ with this (or similar) problem. (His gauges/entire dash will just die and come back spontaneously) Several attempts (fuses, loose connectors, etc) to repair it have failed. Last item suspected is a cold solder joint on the dash's circuit board. It remains unrepaired at this time :(

noneyabusiness

It is a pretty common defect that should be under recall.

They mis-matched the dash plug and socket for size. I am under the impression one is metric with the other half standard.

DC does have a replacement plug available but the common fix is to remove the plug and twist the pins 'slightly' so they fit tighter into the socket. Or thump the top of the dash....

There is another common one which is under recall for one year and that is bad dash ground connections.

The left side and right side instrument panel wiring ground attachment screws could loosen over time. If the left side screw loosens, the instrument panel gauges may not function when the headlamps are turned on. If the right side screw loosens, the defroster blower motor may not function.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks. I've passed this on to my friend.

[snip]
Reply to
noneyabusiness