Checking Prior Recalls

Is there any way to find out whether or not my old Cherokee was ever taken in for any "recall" services? It's a '93 and I just bought it earlier this year. Doing some homework, I see that there were a couple of recalls dealing with the steering system that were issued back in '97. There's also the world-renown brake rotor recall of '99. If I call any stealership and give them the VIN, they should be able to tell me, shouldn' t they?

Thanks!

Mark, '93 XJ

Reply to
Mark E. Bye

Yes, that's what you do.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

The most serious recall was the steering system clip. You can check and see if they did it.

half way down you will see a picture of thesteering shaft heat shied and a plastic bit rightunder it. That was the fix. That plastic clipkeeps the steering shaft from collapsing if the internalshear pin gives way. There should be a zip tie holdingthe clip on.

Reply to
DougW

You can also ask via the customer service portion of the Jeep website. They will run your VIN and let you now about any outstanding recalls.

Reply to
billy ray

That's good to know! Thanks!

Reply to
Mark E. Bye

Doug...

I checked the VIN with the Jeep website and it claims that this vehicle hasn't missed out on any recall services. However, looking at the pictures on the web address you included in your previous post, and then eyeballing my own Jeep, I'm not real sure what I'm supposed to be looking at.

Should I be able to see this clip from a topside view under the hood? I certainly don't see any zip tie on anything.

Thanks!

Mark '93 XJ

Reply to
Mark E. Bye

I'm not that familiar with the XJ, but there should be a heat sheild just rear of the power steering box. That part is under the heat shield on the steering shaft. On mine it is burried and not easy to get at. Actually I have to remove the air box to gain access.

Reply to
DougW