ATF+4 in '97 TJ

Mea Culpa.

I took my '97 TJ to the Jeep dealer to get an erratic oil pressure issue fixed. They replaced the sender, but I haven't driven it long enough to know if it solved my problem there.

While it was in, I had them change the automatic transmission fluid. I am driving 1,200 miles to Moab soon for some 'wheeling and I wanted the tranny in good shape. They put in ATF+4. The manual calls for ATF+2. ATF+4 is a synthetic while earlier versions were mineral oil based. I read somewhere that ATF+4 can degrade seals in older tranmissions. Does anyone have real- life experience with ATF+4 in a pre-99 TJ automatic?

Art '97 TJ '93 XJ '79CJ7

Reply to
Red Jeep

Wrong ATF+4 is fully synthetic and there is a TSB out that ATF+4 basically replaces ATF+1,2,&3 Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

The TSB

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

"Coasty" wrote in news:MaednWkoeo6- snXZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

That's good news and a great source, thank you!!

Reply to
Red Jeep

I used ATF+4 in a '96 ZJ and it was happy with it. Probably the same innards between the two.

-rev

Red Jeep wrote:

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I saw the note, but I don't think it applies to my TJ. Did I miss something?

Or was your reply directed to The Reverend Natural Light?

"L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net:

Reply to
Red Jeep

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

What part of the "NOTE:" exception from your linked article applies to a '97-'06 TJ Wrangler?

-rev

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Sorry, I miss read your ZJ for XJ.

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

"NOTE: This Service Bulletin DOES NOT apply to AW-4 transmissions, Sprinter transmissions, Crossfire transmissions, MK/PM vehicles equipped with Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) and WG vehicles equipped with a diesel engine (sales code ENF) and a W5J400 or NAG1 transmission (sales code DGJ)."

"ATF+4=AE - (Type 9602) is being used as factory fill for Chrysler Group automatic transmissions. ATF+4=AE is recommended for all vehicles equipped with Chrysler Group automatic transmissions EXCEPT FOR THOSE NOTED ABOVE."

WTF are you talking about?

L=2EW.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Again, WTF are you talking about? The TSB applies to ZJs and TJs. Where did XJs come into the discussion? The only Jeep excluded is a WG Grand Cherokee International-Market Diesel. Not likely to find one of those around here.

-rev

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

The AW-4 comes in a Cherokee XJ:

The TSB does not cover the XJ.

It also comes in a '93 ZJ I6, so I do stand corrected, but my '96 ZJ V8 and '02 Dakota V8 have the standard issue Dodge TF-727 derivative overdrive 4-speed automatic transmissions. The original manuals specify ATF+4 and that is what I use in both.

-rev

L=2EW.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light