CJ dash replacement

I was reading an article on replacing a CJ dash just now, and it says to fold the windshield down, and prop up the hardtop.

Just looking at it, I don't understand why these two steps are necessary. Can anyone tell me?

thanks, jeff

Reply to
Jeff Scherb

L.W.(ßill)

I would believe it has to be the other way around. You need to prop up the hard top to fold the windshield down if you actually have the hard top 'on' the Jeep....

The dash has bolts all along the top under the lip of the windshield.

I would recommend you start using a good penetrating oil twice a day for a week on the windshield hinge pins before trying to fold it. The are usually seized if not used.

Mike

Jeff Scherb wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks for the responses. I don't have a CJ now, so I couldn't run out the the garage and check... :-) (All I have is a YJ and a TJ)

Reply to
Jeff Scherb

As Mike said, you'll need to prop up the hard top to fold the windshield down, and the 1/4" lip of the dash goes under the windshield weather strip.

You didn't mention which year CJ. Between 1976 and 1982, all of the dash mounting screws are on the face of the dash, but if you have a padded dash you'll have to fold the windshield down to get at the last few screws for the pad, and the padding has to come off before first. If you don't have the padding, you won't have to fold the windshield down.

Generally, the screws go into rivetnuts in the cowl. The two screws above the steering column for that model hold the steering column brace. It won't go anywhere when you release them but it will slop around a bit.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton