CJ Gauge Size?

Has anyone out here swapped out the volt and/or oil pressure gauges on their '80's CJ-7? I need to replace the gauges on my '85 and am not sure of what size gauge to get. Most everything I'm seeing is 2-1/16" / 52mm, but I think I remember seeing where the stock gauges are 2". Why don't I just go out and measure the holes you ask? The jeep is garaged in another town and I only get to work on it on the weekends. I don't want to get gauges that are too big for the stock openings.

I've asked this question here before but I'm looking to hear from someone who's done this.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
fairtide

Here is a good link on the gauges:

They are 2" gauges.

Mike

Mike Romain

Yup, but lots and lots of the gauges I see (even on the Jeep parts sites) advertised and promoted as 2" gauges are in fact 2-1/16", so I guess I was just trying to confirm that in the industry, they're all just called 2" gauges - OR - I wanted to hear from somebody that yes, there are indeed 2" gauges that are really an honest 2" in diameter, and gagues that are really an honest 2-1/16" in diameter. I'll just measure out the dash openings next time I'm at the Jeep and do the NAPA thing.

Thanks for the help Mike, every little bit counts.

Reply to
fairtide

I have rebuilt my Jeep from the frame up and painted and water sealed (on the front) my dash and gauges.

The 2" gauges fit into a 2" opening in the dash. The bezel makes them appear 2 1/4" on the dash side. This is for stock CJ7 'Laredo' gauges.

They are 'not' all called 2". There is a big difference in the ones they call 2 1/16", namely the hole size.....

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
Drink

I can confrim this. This weekend I did the same thing, and the voltage and oil pressure gages (marketed as 2" but spec'd. as 2-1/16" on the installation instructions) fit in nice and snug with no filing or cutting. Thanks to all who responded here. I originally questioned whether one can use 2-1/16" gagues here, and we've just proven that one can.

- Mike

Reply to
fairtide

What dimension are the freakin' gauges after all that?

Are they 2" in diameter or are they 2 1/16" in diameter?

All you are saying here is the instructions are screwed up....

Mike

Mike Romain

Based on what *I've* found, at least *some* gauges sold and marketed as

2" are in fact 2-1/16" or 52mm, one and the same. And more importantly, these gauges do fit in the 12VDC or oil pressure gauge openings in the dash of a CJ-7. I'm not pretending to be an expert here, just passing along my own findings.

Fin.

Reply to
fairtide