CJ hubs/rotors

It looks like the hub/rotor on my 83 CJ7 is one piece..is this the case? I'm looking at replacing the calipers, brakes, rotors/hubs...anything else I may come across while doing this job? I don't think the fluid has been changed in this thing for a decade! The bleeder screws look like they've rusted as part of the caliper now and the splash shield has rusted away. I'm a little leary of driving her without an E brake too. Thanks! Allen

Reply to
Allen

The CJ7 has separate rotors that just tap apart from the hub. Well, a good dose of penetrating oil doesn't hurt, they are stuck onto the wheel lug bolts.

The hub bearings and seals are replaceable or repackable.

The front calipers are cheap. I think I paid $19.00 CDN each for mine with the core back.

I was cursing a rounded off bleeder trying to figure out how to get it open and checked on a replacement. For twenty bucks I changed it.

Mike

Allen wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Allen ( snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com) wrote on Monday 16 February 2004 09:37 am:

New wheel bearings. They're cheap (even the made in USA, lifetime warranty ones) and it's better than trying to knock out and save the old ones. And of course you'll need a new seal.

Check your ball joints. Now's the time to replace 'em if they're bad, as you have to pull off all that stuff anyway. And if you have to replace those, check your tie rod ends, as you have to pop them off to replace the ball joints.

Check your axle U-joints.

Try to get a new snap ring if you can.

Reply to
Michael White