Front Hubs

'99 F350 SuperCrew Dually 4X4

7.3L Auto. 119,000 miles.

Front hubs, both shot, sealed units apparently, and very expensive.

Anyone replaced these yet?

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Not hard to replace, but if you want to upgrade to a real spindle/bearing setup:

Matt Macchiarolo

That looks like just exactly what I need, Matt.

I'm bringing the truck home from the shop tomorrow. I'll kick it around a bit before I replace 'em.

Thanks,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Once you get it done post your results. I think the conversion kit runs in the $1600-1700 range, how much are the factory replacements?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

So far the Ford place quoted me 500 apiece, $2200 for the whole job! (I'll be sure to jump on that).

NAPA is 443. Advance is 333. OReilly is 204. or 274 dependant upon which warranty I want.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Ack. Replacement of the unit bearing should be somewhat similar to a Jeep Wrangler or Cherokee, except for the locking hub remove. Seems like the Dynatrac unit is worth it for someone handy with a wrench.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I've done my share of it. Used to be a professional mechanic, but not a transmission guy.

Work for Coca-Cola now, driving a truck.

....but I'm not scared of a wrench.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Decided to go with the hubs from O'reillys, the money was the deciding factor.

My truck is an early '99 (4/98) to be exact, and there are supposed to be different (more expensive) hubs for these, but after some help from the guys over at Ford-trucks.com, I learned the later hubs will work, and they did. The difference is the hub is .070 taller, moving the rotor out that much, but the caliper will more than compensate for this.

No problems so far, the swap took about 4 hours, and I had the rotors machined while they were off.

The only hard part was removing the studs from the old hub assemblies, and cranking 190ft lbs with a bad shoulder.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

man making my aching joints ache in sympathy. what gets torqued down to

190 ft lbs?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

The new bolts into the back of the spindles, according to the directions on the spindles.

It was a real pain.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I meant to say according to the instructions with the new hubs.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Get your wife or girlfriend to crank on the 190 ft lb for you. I suggest they do not undertake this project as a team sport ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

.....my wife hasn't touched a crank since she WAS a girlfriend......

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader