cj on tj frame

there were titling issues on the cj8 i purchased that i was not willing to accept. my search for a cj8 project build isnt progressing, so im considering a cj7 build. my search for a cj7 frame is also moving slowly. i found a tj frame/suspension/axles that i can pick up very reasonable, and am wondering how difficult it is to put a fiberglass cj body on a tj frame. thanks,

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

How would you title that?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

That is riveted

I'm going the other way. Two Cherokee frames (74 and 75) welded together to make one fully boxed frame, but the new inner sides not attached to the cross members to allow some movement without cracking. I will paint it after i figure out the body mounts to carry a Jeepster C-101 body. Rust is not a consideration, as it has enough holes to allow drying and I expect metal fatigue will give this thing a max life of ten years before the whole rig needs to be replaced

I'm riding up the NorCal coast this weekend, but next weekend the suspension and axles get put on.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

heh.....no, im actually quite serious. i like the look of the cj7, and the ride of the tj. i figure combining the two would give me the best of both.

aside from liking the tj suspension much better, the tj frame would stand up to the drivetrain i plan on dropping in (5.7 hemi, 4 speed automatic) without excessive bracing.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

it wouldnt be difficult in montana, where we can even legally license ATVs for the highway

we dont even have vehicle inspections up here, it wouldnt be difficult to title a home-built jeep im sure.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Wow.. now I know to stay out of Montana!

Carl

Reply to
Carl

In Michigan you can title such a vehicle as a "self-assembled vehicle," it involves a mechanical and safety inspection and you'd get a new state-issued VIN.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

..for which Montanans thank you.

More miles of highway than California, Nevada, Colorado, Oregon, Idaho all combined. Not much smaller than California. Fewer people in the whole state than in San Jose city limits. Far too many Californians, but other than that, much to like. Presuming you don't mind freezing your rear end off every now and then.

Carl proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

heh......it does get cold.....and ive grown to love it.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

It's just the guys in cabins with typewriters, a list of college professors and a supply of C-4 you have to worry about.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo