CJ six cylinder motor mounts

Which ways up? The stock mounts have a flange (or what I might call a saddle) on one end that the rubber sets on. I assume that would be on the bottom?

Reply to
JimG

They alternate. Those are 'torque hooks' and limit the amount of twist the engine can put on the rubber of the mount so they don't get torn off too fast.

The driver's side one is hook down and the passenger side is hook up.

Mike

JimG wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The motor will roll to the drivers side under acceleration?

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Big time!

I tear aftermarket mounts lots. The OEM ones from the dealer seem stronger....

They make 'bullet proof' mounts, but they cost a pretty penny.

Mike

JimG wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The passenger side won't fit hook up... hits the oil filter. Now what?

JimG

Reply to
JimG

You have the wrong oil filter in it, two can fit. The proper one stops about 1/4" short of the mount hook.

Mike

JimG wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

And besides that, now that I have started it, mine rolls to the passenger side when I accelerate.

Thanks for the help anyway Mike, "torque hook" makes since now. Maybe motors roll opposite in Canada. :-)

JimG

Reply to
JimG

I missed or read wrong your 'roll to the drivers side', I was distracted by some friends, the fan spins that way, the motor rolls the other way, hence the hook on the top of the passenger side mount and on the bottom of the driver side one.

Mike

JimG wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That's why I have also seen chains from frame to motor on the drivers side.... just was not sure.

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Mike,

After laying under my Jeep for awhile, I now see your point. Now the oil filter, I have always used a PH25 which is what the Fram catalog calls for.

I also notice an adjustment slot for the mount on the frame piece, passenger side. How is this adjustment set? It could make room for the filter, not sure.

Thanks for beating it into my thick head! I hope you didn't hurt your hammer. ;-)

JimG

Reply to
JimG

LOL! It was fun... ;-)

The thread isn't over yet.....

I know that two filters can fit on. Mine has a short small diameter filter. Maybe look up a different year.

The best I can figure for that slot was to make up for any differences in brands of rubber mounts. If one was thicker the hole would move a bit. Just a guess. The filter clearance is set on the engine side.

Mike

JimG wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain