How to remove speedo cable from rear of dash?

So after studying it for a while I still can't work out how to disconnect the speedo cable from the dash on my Defender 90. There's a
plastic end on it which just spins round and round but does not unscrew. Haynes manual just says 'disconnect speedo cable'. That helps a lot.
Help!
Dave.

There's a little piece of plastic sticking out at the side just under the speedo, if you press the outer end (nearest the speedo) of this it releases a catch at the other end of the bit sticking out and the cable will pull straight off.
Martin
Oily wrote:

Hell - is it really that simple. I can't remember how many times I have been digging around in there thinking - if only I could figure out hot to get this b cable off the speedo.
Haynes manuals have always told you how to do the easy bits very clearly and then glossed over the impossible part which required a double jointed midget with a 3/8th extension drive just to get on the nut, or a 30 ton press. They also used to have a habit of making you think it was a simple 5 step job, then you find step 3 is remove the engine as per section 7A. But, to be fair, they don't seem to get as many photos upside down as they used to.
Steve

unscrew.
lot.
the
releases
Well, I have heard them frequently called HBOL (Haynes Book of Lies) on here. :-)
Martin

I live 15 minutes away from their publishing offices, I'll wander round and chuck a flywheel through their window for you!

Ian Rawlings wrote:

Maybe we could ask them to demonstrate how to get the bush out of the end of the suspension arms.
However I am told they have brought out a Haynes Manual for Sex - the mind boggles. Hope that doesn't require a midget with a 3/8 extension or a 30 ton press !
Steve

Apparently if you have a broken halfshaft sex is a six-spanner job!

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 16:42:02 -0700, Cheshire Steve

It becomes obvious once you break your first one off and then you can look at the bots properly! ;) -- http://www.101club.org The 101 Forward Control Club and Register
Oily wrote:

Excellent, many thanks Martin! I'm stripping to try to find all my water leaks. I'm completely fed up with wet carpets now and have gone out on an all offensive to sort it out. Probably a fruitless task on a Defender but if I reduce the inflow a bit it will help.
Regards,
Dave.
Dave wrote:

Defender - carpets ..... are we going soft?
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 07:54:36 +0100, Dave

Drill holes in the floor. The constant water flow should keep the truck nice and clean... -- http://www.101club.org The 101 Forward Control Club and Register
Tom Woods wrote:

On my Defender the holes in the floor appeared magically on their own. LR had fitted foam rubber thingies between the chassis and the floorpan, which gathered up a muddy poultice guaranteed to keep damp even in the severest drought.
On the series 3 I used to reverse part way out the drive where it was on a slope and then I could open the drivers door to let the water out.
Steve