How do i correct steering wheel play in my '61 Ghia which causes car to drift.

I can move the steering wheel a couple of inches before any tire movement is felt. Also out the highway at speeds, I need to constantly correct the steering to keep going straight. Side winds also cause this. I did do some research and some remedies are a adjustment in the steering box or bad tie rods or wheel bearing. Can someone be more specific and maybe point me to a you tube video.

Reply to
Alex

You will need a 17mm allan wrench. On the steering box (access behind spear tire) loosen large nut and turn 17mm bolt untill the steering feels tight, re tighten nut.

Reply to
gavazzimario92

You will need a 17mm allan wrench. On the steering box (access behind spear tire) loosen large nut and turn 17mm bolt untill the steering feels tight, re tighten nut.

Reply to
gavazzimario92

watch out! you can tighten that too tight. only tighten a bit and then back it off. this should be done when the wheel are pointed straight. Good Luck. it's probably wear somewhere else.

Reply to
Shoe-Chucker 2