Steering wheel play

I have a 98 Chevy K1500 Z71 with a lot of play in the steering wheel. Does anyone know if there is a way to tighten up the steering gear box?

Yes there is, but it should be done by someone experienced with this procedure.

-
On my Ram the ajustment is on top of the steering gear box, but be careful not to over tighten it or the gear box will lock up.
tonyb3147 wrote:

Actually there is two adjustment on it. The one on top is just at sector gear preload adjustment and it will not remove play from a worn box.(the other adjustment is were the steering shaft enters box as the whole "core" in passes through can thread in on out of case) As stated earlier, unless you really have a grip on thing here you should not attempt to do it. If it is in fact in the steering box itself, time for a rebuilt one because to have a lot of play in it suggests a lot of internal wear in it and if it has been fighting bigger tiresmost of its life it is reaching the end of its lifespan. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com