Clutch Housing Replacement

All,

I have to replace the clutch housing on my '82 Scrambler with a 258 and T5 transmission (don't ask - stupidity on my part). I've got a few questions. First, in the clutch removal section of the factory manual, it says to remove the transmission as described in the transmission section. The transmission section says to support the engine at the clutch housing when removing the transmission. Then the clutch removal section says to remove the clutch housing after removing the transmission. Is this right? Once the transmission is removed, do I no longer need to support the rear of the engine? If I do need to support the engine, where is the proper place? The oil pan? Or do I need to dig out the engine hoist?

Second, what is a used clutch housing going for these days?

Finally, is it possible to re-install the transmission and the Dana 300 transfer case as a single unit? I'd rather not break them apart if I don't have to. I'm using a transmission jack that can handle their combined weight.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Michael White

I am thinking 'bell housing', but yes, the oil pan is a good place to support the engine with a block of wood on top of the jack and the T-case and tranny come out as one piece.

Mike

Michael White wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I agree. I actually prefer to remove the engine to work on clutches. Much easier in my book.

Mike

RoyJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

All went well, although I did need a second jack to help me rotate the whole assembly while putting in the bolts.

Thanks again!

Reply to
Michael White

Reply to