Throttle body spacers

Has anyone had any experience with throttle body spacers and what do you think of them?

Reply to
Tom

Tom did pass the time by typing:

Pure junk with no real (unbiased) test results to back the claims.

What they do is change your throttle and kickdown cable geometry to make it feel like you have more power. Same effect can be had by gluing a block of wood to your shoe.

Originally spacers were there to separate the carb from engine heat and provide a denser charge. Pointless in throttle bodies and fuel injection.

Flow is king. Open the intake and exhaust. port and polish the head. or just do what I do and cram air down the engines throat. :) If you have a 4cyl you could use the I6 throttle body with modifications but don't get a bored out 4.0 TB, it will flow too much air and lean out your engine.

Reply to
DougW

Do you think the manufacturer would pass up the chance to supply you with extra horsepower when all it takes is an extra bit of scrap metal ? If they worked they would be ... part of the throttle body... wait, you already have one !

Dave Milne

Snake oil.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

They make a cool noise when you accelerate! Other than that, they won't give you any noticeable increase in HP, IMHO. (you must have the 4 cylinder)

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

They had a use with 'hot' carb engines.

No use on FI engines.

Mike

Tom wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I think if they were worth a damn they would have been included stock. they do nothing for the 4.0 KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

While they're worthwhile under a carburetor, they don't do a thing under a throttle body except make more noise... which fools some into thinking it is making more power. ;)

Jerry

Tom wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Excellent performance in separating your money from your wallet. Buy a tow rope instead.

Scott

Reply to
reconair

Buy one already hooked up as you can get, or if a new one from the factory get the dana44 rear axle as an option and you will be able to get bigger tires in the future without worrying about snapping the dana35 axles?

Reply to
Troy

Why, they add almost as much usable horsepower as neon exhaust tips, and not quite as much as braided hose covers.

-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Oh my God that is funny Bill, I'm printing it out and taking it to work to post on the bulletin board.

Reply to
Zorin Inc.

I got one of those spacers for free(after removing it from a junkyard vehicle). Put it on my '95 4cyl, just for the hell of it. Didn't seem to increase the hp any, but I do believe it moved the torque curve down the rpm range a bit. Didn't hurt the mileage any that I could tell.

Bottom line? If I had to pay for one, I wouldn't buy it.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLTC 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep Wrangler YJ TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51, SPUNGER#2

Reply to
Old Crow