Clutch Squeks Well Driving?

I own a 88' xj 4.0 I6, 5 on the floor, well accelerating there is no problem, however when I slow down there is a horibble squeek that appears to be comming from the clutch. This happens in any gear, and as the rpms are higher the squek is faster and louder. At a stop there is no prob It engages fine, however when I first purchased the cherokee it wouldn't disengage fully (old owner said to just of had a new clutch installed, felt like it had when bought, had no sales reciept though)to be put it too gear, I would be at a light and have too litterly shove it into gear, 1st being the hardest and second harder and usually 3rd and 4th to as much force. However This problem was fixed with new motor mounts and oil fill in the gear box. This rarely ever happens now. Its been about 5 since I replaced the motor mounts and one day this squeek developed. I think the two problems to be unrelated, and have read that it very possible the throw out bearing. I have never rebuilt a clutch, and dont actully konw a whole lot about how they work. I read that the bearing only is used when you have the clutch pedal pushed down. But this is not the case, It is fully released when it squeks. If I push down on the clutch well its squeking it stops, or pull it out gear and ride in nuetral there is no squeek. What else could it be?

Thank you, Ben

Reply to
Xanatos

The noise you hear is the throw-out bearing.

-- o|||||||o JimG

80' CJ-7, 258 CID 35" BFG MT's on 15x10 Centerlines 4.56 D30-D44 SOA D300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn 8000i w/dual batteries LockRight F&R
Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)