Jeep Wrangler side hood louver air vents

Tom P did pass the time by typing:

It looks nice and would provide improved venting. I doubt the performance gains but considering what you let through you don't have to push and lower underhood temps it may be correct. One of those things I'd have to test myself.

I do know putting the 5.9 louvers on the I6 does lower temps dramatically and lower underhood temps/intake rail temps = more horsepower. Just need to do it to my ZJ. :)

as with all opinions, YMMV

Reply to
DougW

ebay Item number: 8003917224

Deal or dud What do you think?

Tom

Reply to
Tom P

I'll agree on the advantages of lowering the underhood temperature and that I have doubts about increasing your mileage 2 mph.

I have seen these in use and you can feel the HOT air being exhausted.

On the other hand unless your Wrangler is black, dark blue or dark green they are also quite noticeable as they stick out about 3/4 inch.

If you do buy these louvers I'd like to suggest that you consider using a series of five 2" holes spaced 1" apart instead of cutting a 2" x 18" slot. This arraignment will allow retention of much more structural integrity of the hood. In either case paint the raw metal with a rust inhibiting enamel

On another note if you take the vent scoops made to increase the heater ventilation and mount them on the hood you will probably get better cooling at a lower price. you would have the option of mounting them forwards for a ram-air effect or rearwards for venting (And an additional benefit of directing heated air toward the windshield if you live in the snowbelt.).

Have you gone over to your local lumber yard and perused their collection of vents? They are available in plastic, aluminum, and tin and can be painted to match or coordinate and held in with pop rivets, nuts/bolts or waterproof sealer.

I do not think I would trust just using sheet metal screws.

i.e..: | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

Reply to
Billy Ray