Coolant coming out of the headbolt!

On my 258, coolant was spraying out of headbolt toward the rear of the motor (outside the valve cover). I retorqued it down and it's fine. but does that mean that coolant has broken through the gasket from the water jacket into the bolt shaft and is working its way through the rest of the gasket outside the motor? There is NO milky residue in the oil, nor is there any brown sludge in the coolant. Is this a ticking time bomb or normal when you pull a headbolt?? Allen

83 CJ7
Reply to
<ABanks5

Yes to ticking time bomb. The good news is that replacing a head gasket is a good way to get to know your vehicle better.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Off topic,..but why when I hit "reply group" on my outlook express does it not fall directly under what I replied to? It's not a "thread".

Okay,..to your reply....yeah...I know. I got all to familiar with replacing a head gasket on my 83 VW GTI. Timing is a bitch!!!!!!!!! I'm not looking forward to that at all. Allen

Reply to
<ABanks5

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

"reply group" will reply to the post you are reading at the time.

Reply to
Joe

Okay....I'm replying to "group reply". We'll see what happens. Allen

message

Reply to
<ABanks5

On the 258, there is only one head bolt that threads "into" the water jacket and it's the front left bolt. Someone could have drilled it deeper at some point, or it could be a factory flaw. My guess is it's the head gasket itself.

And Allen, don't worry about the timing. The 258 has it's camshaft down in the block where they're supposed to be! There are no timing issues on changing a head gasket on a 258 or a 4.0 for that matter. The hardest part is picking it up off the block.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Burns

Hi

I have just purchased a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 Limited and in needod a 'cost effective' company to perform a 60,000 mile service (other than a main dealer) . I am based in Herfordshire and willing to travel a reasonable distance if the saving is to my benefit.

Also does anyone know if the cambelt is changed on a 60K service or is this extra?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
<c2dmw^nospam^