cracked exhaust manifold.

I am confused. Went to Meineke for loud noises on my exhaust, and the guy said that my exhaust manifold is crack. He can order it for $401.79 and he will charge me $337.50 to put it in. I did some searching and from the link below, I can get it pretty cheap, much cheaper than what he quoted. Are we talking about the samething? what is the correct part number for an exhaust manifold for 1995 jeep grand cherokee laredo straight 6.

thanks.

John

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Now Bill, But on the positive side that labor charge includes fabricating a coupler to hook the new manifold to the old exhaust system!

billy ray

That certainly looks like it. The newer ones have those expansion ripples on them to prevent some of the cracking. And the most recent version is actually three parts. Mine cracked down by the lower Y.

This is a job you can do yourelf if your fairly good with tools and have the service manual. You need the manual for all the bolt locations and torque specs. You will also need a torque wrench and a good assortment of extensions and wobbles. There is a short writeup on my site.

I put in a Banks header (not cheap) and it is working fine so far.

You can check the oem one at

DougW

I had the exact same problem a little less than a year ago. Got one just like the one in your link and installed it with a mechanic friends help in about 2 hours. Has been working perfectly so far.

~ Doug

~Doug

Meineke told me the front pipe in my 87 YJ (Between the manifold and cat) was an $800 part.

Buyer Beware!!!

Reply to
Steve Foley

This is wacked, I don't have a mechanic friend so I can't do anything but drive it ghetto style I guess. Meineke guy said it'll be loud and I'll smell fuel/fume once in awhile but the car is drivable. He offered to order the parts right there and then for me and have it by Monday (this was last sat). I offered to pay him monopoly money which he respectfully declined. :)

Steve Foley wrote:

Reply to
John

My son has been driving his 91 XJ and complaining about a loud knock at idle. Since I was tired of his dripping all over my new driveway, I had him drop the pan and check the bottom end - which forced him to replace the leaking pan gasket. Engine was good so I had him expand on the symthoms: quiet when cold, rattle goes away at higher RPMs, get really bad at exactly 900 RPM but is better above and below. Hmmm... how's the exhaust? Turns out he has a crack right at the Y in the exhaust manifold. Of course he won't believe me when I tell him that's his knock.

Po> This is wacked, I don't have a mechanic friend so I can't do anything

Reply to
Will Honea

You don't need a mechanic friend, only an honest one.

Drive around until you see a repair shop. Stop in and ask if they can do it. Exhaust work is not difficult, just a pain in the butt.

Reply to
Steve Foley

Find an Autozone or Schuck's, whatever, and ask the counter people. Usually they will steer you in the right direction. Not all repair shops are good.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

At least two of the AutoZones in a nearby city have guys that pretty much work out of their truck in the parking lot.... and do a lot of business.

Reply to
billy ray

Actually that's how I fixed the crack in my exhaust manifold till the replacement got in. A good brushing with a wire brush, a wad of muffler epoxy, and a wrap with some muffler bandage followed up with a couple of pipe clamps. Did a good job.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
John

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

John proclaimed:

Fairly common issue. I have the same year and engine...luckily mine cracked while it was still under the california emissions warranty. The replacement had a better design. There are a number of good aftermarket units, including headers. Avoid Meineke, go to a locally owned muffler shop or better yet a jeep specialty shop where they can help you with a unit suitable for what you do with vehicle. If my replacement ever goes out, will probably pick up a Banks or similar.

Reply to
Lon

Steve Foley proclaimed:

36.99 from J C Whitney.
Reply to
Lon

Go somewhere else. Anywhere else. A factory style header with expansion bellows is about $250 from JC Whitney and the pipe to the cat is $37 bucks. For just over 400 you can buy a Banks.

For a premium aftermarket try a local 3WheelParts. For about the same price with original but improved try a local dealer. For a heck of a lot less, try a mom and pop shop.

John proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon