1993 jeep cherokee Grand Theft Auto

Recently got my jeep back from police impound and assesing the damage. Busted steering column on left side so they could by pass the ignition interlock, missing drivers side window (ok its not missing they left it in 57,982 convienently placed shards in the interior, my cd changer and the head unit as well as my paintball gun.

Question for a group noob, is how simple or challenging can it be for a layman to replace the shroud and or the steering column?

Second is how simple is it to replace or rekey the locks.

Last is who reccomends what alarm system and or remote start?

Paintstone in Washington.

Reply to
paintstone

I know this isn't helpful, but I rather like the anti theft device used in one of the Bond movies, if a lowlife breaks into the car the device blows the car and the lowlife to bits. I have NO sympathy for car thieves... at the very least they should go to prison for at least as long as it took the cars owner took to earn the money to buy the car, or in your case to pay for the damage.

Jeff DeWitt

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Bummer. :( but on the bright side it wasn't totaled.

The shroud is just plastic. A few screws and that's it. The rest depends on just how much is damaged. Is your insuarance going to cover the repair?

You would be well served to get the service manual. Sucker isn't cheap but it pays for itself in a few repairs.

The most difficult thing about the colum is the airbag. That's why I prefer to tell folks to have the dealer do it. But if you do it yourself remember to place the airbag face UP. If it discarges face down the charge canister will go flying through what ever is in its way. Face up it just goes bang and stays there.

Replacement is easy. The most problem comes in taking the door panels off and getting at the lock. Rekey, I dunno.

I like Clifford. Installed one on my 93 back in 93 and it still works like a charm. Got power windows, remote start, and anti-carjack. The newer ones have two way remotes (up to 1500 ft)

Reply to
DougW

"Jeffrey DeWitt" wrote at the very least they should go to prison for at least as

... or both.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

tell us what happened, i'm curious.

one time i walked to my honda accord and noticed how clean my driver side window was and marveled at the clarity of it and i can see inside the car without seeing smudges. i was not happy to see the glass was not there, they broke it clean and stole the radio. i had many fantasies of me being the green arrow and shooting an arrow and impaling the MF to the tree next to my car.

-john DougW wrote:

Reply to
John