Customer Comments to Quadratec

I'd heard that Steelhorse accessories were junk, but the Smittybuilt stuff my fiancee bought me for Christmas from your outfit is running a close "second" in that department, in my opinion. One item she bought me (and which is being sent back for credit) was the billet gas hatch cover (15006.100). Just how long do you (or Smittybuilt) figure the weak little spring that holds the cover in the open and closed position will last... especially when it would be under a constant barrage of road salt during long, northern Wisconsin winters? Had I known that the other item, Euro Guard Rear Light Guards (13007.08), were going to be such a pain in the ass to install, they'd be on their way back, too. First off, there were no installation instructions. It would have been nice to know that I had to pull the wiring harness out and unplug the light fixtures before they could be installed (the harness on the passenger side would not pull out far enough for me to get to the connection... it did disconnect, however, inside of the bodywork and at this time I have absolutely no idea how I am going to retrieve it). It also would have been a good idea to send along the CORRECT size screws for installation. The screws included were way too short and not near the proper girth. I had to make a special trip to the hardware store to purchase $3.60 worth of screws and washers to make the install. Right now, I'm not a very satisfied customer. In future catalogs, how 'bout indicating the manufacturer's name on ALL items. You do it for the quality names such as Bestop, why not do it for the crap manufacturers so that people can avoid it if they want to?

Reply to
M. E. Bye

Let me get this straight, you are complaining to QTech that an accessory item they sell but did not build hasn't got instructions that tell you the car you are installing the accessory onto will resist your efforts to install the accessory?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I'm pretty sure they have most of their 'installation instructions' on their website.

Reply to
SteveBrady

FYI, Steelhorse was bought out by Smittybuilt a year or so ago. From your comments Smittybuilt have by now re-branded the same useless junk under their own name. It's a shame, I was hoping the Steelhorse crap would never again be foisted on the public, but apprently it's just a shell game.

I spoke with the Quadratec people at Moab two years ago about the Steelhorse branded junk they were selling as CJ replacement parts. At the time I was in the middle of a restoration on a '76 CJ5 and I'd returned numerous Steelhorse branded items to them which turned out to be junk. Their reps assured me they had severed all business ties to the offshore mfr that made Steelhorse. Apprently the curse is back: Caveat Emptor!

Reply to
SoK66

Shit runs uphill as well. Who is Smittybuilt going to listen to, the lowly end user whose money they already have or the major distributor that buys in bulk? If Quadratech gets enough returns of stuff people don't like...maybe eventually they will tell the manufacturer that they get too many returns and that they are dropping the product unless quality goes up.

Reply to
Endo

Well, I mean, it was a "no brainer" that the tail light assemblies had to be removed before these things could be installed. But the goofy thing is that you've got to then slip the whole light assembly into the guard enclosure from the top end. You cannot do it from the bottom end of the guard, it's narrower than the light assembly itself. If you could you wouldn't need to unplug the wiring harness. Why couldn't the light guard have been engineeered just a little wider so you wouldn't have to screw with the wiring harness? Aside from not including proper hardware, *this* is what really frosts my ass.

Mark '98 TJ '98 XJ

Reply to
M. E. Bye

They designed the guard to follow the contours of the body so it would fit cleanly and smoothly. If they made it so it was not tapered, then it would not fit flush at the top.

I agree that they should include the correct screws, but the rest of your complaint lacks merit. There is too much beer to drink to spend time worrying about stuff like this.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Point taken! On both counts. Have a safe New Year!

Mark '98 TJ '98 XJ

Reply to
M. E. Bye

Sorry. I was a bit harsh. But it's true, there is way too much beer to drink to spend time on problems like this.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I think Steel is now Outland (employee purchase) and has purchased Smittybuilt.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Could be I have it reversed, regardless it's a shame if thr Steelhorse legacy continues.

It seems 4 Wheel Parts, 4WD Hardware, Quadratec and some others have offshore sources making really bogus knock-offs. Brands like Rock Krusher, Warrior, etc. are consistent crap, and even a formerly quality outfit like Warn is peddling some cheap looking stuff that must be coming from East Mogahacha.

Reply to
SoK66

The easiest way to get to the harness, if you haven't already done so, is through the wheel well. I'm guessing you are talking about the right rear tail light. there is one plastic connector at the rear of the well that you remove. That part of the plastic well will bend down, allowing good access.

cal

Reply to
Cal

Thanks, Cal. I worked on that yesterday in the freezing rain here. WOW! After they got the roads sanded today, I was off for my local hardware store for a replacement fastener that I had to cut to get up into the wheel well.

Mark '98 TJ '98 XJ

Reply to
M. E. Bye