Damn - you guys were right

After my clutch froze up the other day I discussed the situation with you guys and you seemed to think the clutch fork was bent/broken. I wasn't convinced and wound up replacing the entire MC/Slave/line setup with new factory parts.

The clutch feels better than it has in years... but it still doesn't work.

So I'm getting it hauled in, right now I'm waiting for a stealership to call back with their price... but it looks like it's going to cost about $400 to replace a $20 part.

ARRRGH!

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Ouch!

The big gotcha is 'why' did the sucker bend.....

When I toasted mine, I almost bent it. My tranny nose piece or bearing retainer had this notch on the bottom of it that a so called "Jeep" shop told me to just ignore or fill with JB Weld when I did my first frame off. The JB weld didn't hold for shit.... At least a 'real' off road shop, not a pretender, had a steel replacement bearing retainer (maybe Ford off a World Class T5?) instead of the white metal or Al one that was in there and is known to screw up clutches.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Reply to
philthy