Dana 44 turns into Dana $2000

Hi all... long time since I posted here. My '02 Wrangler Sport rear end "went" according to the service dept.... I was coming off a highway and merging onto another road when I had a loud bang... I thought I had hit a boulder it was so bad. At that point, from 15 mph on up, I could hear a nasty knocking sound from the rear end area that would increase in frequency with an increase in speed... It was driveable but did not sound good of course. I knew something had seriously gone wrong.

Man, I love my Jeep, but this is a big price tag for something that just "went."

My TJ is on the bottom right with the camo tire cover.

Dana44

3.73 Diffs Dave T
Reply to
Rushfn1

They're ripping you off. You can buy an entire custom beefed up D44 complete with a locker and gears for nearly that amount. Have it checked/repaired by a 4x4 store.

Jerry

Rushfn1 wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I sense that too, Jerry... There are no 4X4 stores around here and I don't have the time to do the searching. This TJ is also my commuter and I need it back ASAP. I even briefly toyed with just buying a Rubicon... Ugh.

Jerry Bransford wrote:

Reply to
rushfn1

Holy crap, two large to fix a broken diff? What parts did they replace and how many hours labor did they charge?

Steve

Rushfn1 wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Surely there is a non-dealer shop that can repair your axle. There's really nothing unusual about replacing bearings and/or ring & pinion gears in the Dana 44 that has been around since the 40's.

Jerry

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

My coworker just had both axles replaced on his '97 Cherokee for $1400 CDN installed ...albeit he knew the mechanic and got a good price, but still ...shop around a little cuz $2000 is wayyyy too much, especially in US $.

Reply to
griffin

I agree that a quote from a 4x4 dealer is the way to go. I recently received a quote to change both axle ratios, with bearings, seals gears and labor for $2k.

Rushfn1 wrote:

dept.... I was

Reply to
LowBFlat

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

No, I had my Sport special ordered with the D44 and 3.73 diffs The front end has the smaller axle.

Dave

Reply to
rushfn1

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I'm with Jerry on this one, there is nothing special that should stump anybody. The Stealership is earning its name, find an independent that can do the work for you. The $2000 price tag will buy a whole new axle, all you need is the ring and pinion gears. Odds are that you only need one of these, either one, but it is recommended you replace them in sets.

This is a job that you and your brother should be able to do at home. Well, it isn't quite that easy, but it makes the point. Setting the gears is a job that takes some experience, but there are lots of guys that can do it at home. Seriously, it doesn't take the dealership to get this fixed.

I am amazed that you figured out a way to break a D44.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It's conceiveable that he just had a bad one.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

The order of cheapie: SE - 4 cylinder, 30, 35 X - SE with the 4.0, 30, 35 Sport - 30, 35, 44 rear option Sahara - 30, 35, 44 rear option Rubicon - 44, 44 Unlimited - 30, 44 Unlimited Rubicon - 44, 44

(information I present is always subject to be wrong)

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Well, I certainly do appreciate the insight you guys gave... Trust me, I'll be sending a note to JP magazine telling them of this dealer's exploits. Whether they print it or not is another question. Guess I've been "exploited." Not sure what else I can do at this point seeing as though the parts are on order and the rental car (gag) is in hand.... Sad day in rapedbythedealer land. Can't wait to get my Jeep back though. Off to work at 0600.

Dave

=DFill L. W. Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
rushfn1

It seems to me that if you haven't paid, you can do whatever you want. Have it towed somewhere else. n.

Dave

ßill L. W. Hughes III wrote:
Reply to
Nathan Otis

It only cost 2 grand Canadian to change the gears in both my CJ and Daughter's YJ, new gears included, well acually it was purchase 4 sets of gears but I only paid for 3 to be installed since her rear is 9", brother in law did those ones, but for CJ I alos replaced the carrier and spider gears in rear. If the dealer told me $2000.00 I'd be looking at Dynatrac or Currie for a price.

Reply to
Greg

I paid 1300 for a D44 with hardened shafts, disc brake conversion, ARB and

4.56 gears. Used of course but still, damn 2k... Call them and tell them you want your jeep back. KH

Dave

ßill L. W. Hughes III wrote:
Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

dept.... I was

Reply to
popeyeball

is it not under warranty????

or did they have the sub standard 3/36 on the 02 models?

-Steve, former 98 TJ

Reply to
Goat Crapp