2001 Sentra - Noise in Right Front Quadrant

I have an '01 Sentra with 212K miles on it. Friday, I noticed a slight thumping/clunking noise that seemed to be coming from right front wheel area of the car. The noise seemed to increase in frequency as you accelerated. I did not dirive the car over the Labor Day weekend, but yesterday, as I drove into work the noise got more pronounced being louder and more intense at slower speeds, and, again, increasing in frequency, but not as intense at faster speeds. The sound would only go away while turning the steering wheel when taking slight curves.

My tires were already very worn and due to be replaced. I felt that the problem may have been in the right-front tire (knot or separated), so I went ahead and had them all replaced yesterday. However, this did not fix the problem.

While I can feel a slight knocking sensation with my foot when it is pressed up against the floorboard nearest the right-front wheel, or in the gas pedal, there is no vibration in steering wheel at all. I can take my hands off the steering wheel and the car continues straight ahead with no real pull to the right or left in the front-end. Play in the steering wheel is minimal as well.

I believe the wheel bearings are OK, but I'm going to check them. I would think that there would be vibration in the steering wheel if the bearings were worn.

Could what I've described be caused by a worn out strut? What else should I check?

Thanks.

Reply to
bmcdougald

Duh, I said Right front quadrant. The problem is on the drivers side, which would actuall be the LEFT side.

Sorry.

Reply to
bmcdougald

I have never replaced the CV joints and I can't remember the last time I checked the boots for cracks/leaks (160K miles maybe?).

With everything I've read in this group and on the net regarding worn out CV joints/shafts, I'm pretty sure that this is my problem.

Reply to
bmcdougald