Traction with 2000 F150

Hello group,

I am considering purchasing a 2000 F150 and I am 100% sure if the vehicle's history. I have driven it for the past year. It has about 44K on it, most of which is on the highway. The tires, General Grabber AW's, are slightly worn and the grooves appear to be about 3/16s to 4/16s in depth (can't see the top of Lincoln's head on a penny). I am concerned about an apparent lack of grip on the road, especially during wet weather. It seems that the rear of the truck can lose traction while turning (even at low speeds on dry pavement) and, while I haven't tried any hard braking, I am nervous about it.

Can I achieve a good grip on the road with a better set of tires or is this behavior normal for the F150 (I realize the bed is light and thus can slip, but it seems pretty ridiculous)? So if I go buy some nice Michelin tires, will that make my truck perform better on wet/dry pavement? Any tire suggestions?

What about times when the vehicle is driven in a reckless manner? I'm usually a laid back driver but my wife is more aggressive. If she takes turns and brakes under conditions that her Civic can handle, what can we expect from the F150 with good tires? Is it reasonable just to say we have to drive non-aggressively or should the F150 perform better than this?

Thanks for any tips!

-- gorf

Reply to
gorf

Goodyears suck get rid of them they are overpriced and wear out too quick. Try this site for what you are looking for they have ratings from the people that buy the tires. On my 97 F-150 I had BFG's and they were an excellent tire and when I finally get my '04 250 I will probably go with Bridgestone Dulers.

Jerry P

Reply to
Jerry P

I agree with Jerry. Goodyears are horrible on wet pavement. My buddies General tires are pretty bad on wet pavement also. I replaced my first set at 2,000 miles with Bridgestone Dueler H/Ls and the handling was night and day. Bridgestone's had better wet traction, quieter ride and good in snow. I just recently went with the Dueler AT Revos and they are even better than the HLs except a little noisier on hwy but great tires and great wet/dry traction.

The Michelins are really good tires and I have never heard anything bad about them from people I know with them but they are pricey.

Reply to
FordStyle

I went from a Civic to a 2000 f150 4x4, it was no big deal to me having driven trucks all my life. Someone who has never driven a truck before might not make the transition as easy.

First off, if she is an aggressive driver, being much higher off the ground can give you a bit of a power trip. (don't those dodge neons look like speed bumps!).

It will never handle like a Civic, aggressive lane changes or pushing the vehicle hard in turns is going to be a lot different in a rear wheel drive, let alone one with a significantly higher center of gravity.

Braking is different as well, you have a heck of a lot more weight to bring to a stop.

That being said, with the millions of trucks on the road, and a pile of em driven by women, there is no reason you cannot safely drive it.

One thing to check if the rear end is real squirrely in turns is the Differential, it may have a locker or limited slip, this will make turning behavior different. It's not a bad thing, just something you need to be aware of or you could get yourself in a mess if not prepared.

As for tires, mine came with Goodyear Wrangler RT/S, which were probably the absolute worst tire I have ever had on any vehicle. Loud, poor traction in all weather, absolute crap. They did have good tread wear, which is the only thing good I have to say about them.

Being Canadian, I ended up at Canadian Tire and put a set of their RoughRider AT's on, and the difference is night and day.

L8R, Jeff

Reply to
Hawk

I agree with Jerry P's comments about Goodyear. However, you were discussing General's. None the less, the BFG AT tires are suburb and should optimize the performance on wet or snow surfaces. Maybe you can get through the balance of the season and put on BFG in the fall. Any pickup is light in the rear end. You need to be kind to it when empty.

Reply to
Mellowed

i live in the NE and this winter i put duelers on my f150.. i can only say good things about these tires and i actually enjoy driving in the snow and sleet! you can get em at

for a good price.. oh, mine are

17"

enjoy.

Reply to
JerseyShur

I should make sure I'm 100% awake next time. Sorry never had any expierience with Generals.

Jerry P

Reply to
Jerry P