dealer vs auto shop for repairs @ $117/hr

Over the years, I've almost always brought my cars back to the dealer for specific problems vs general maint. Chevy - Chevy - Saab - Maxima - Jeep - Jeep

My thinking was that they know their specific brand & models, and have the specific experience & parts.... BUT - my local Jeep dealer labor costs are HUGE at $117 hour.

Here are some of things over the years with my current GC Jeep...

ie - sunroof motor electric cooling fan relay rear lift gate latch transmission transducer sensor serpentine belt

then the usual engine/oil maint, flush, plugs, etc and the "problem" with brake rotors - replaced warped rotors 3 times before finally going to a drilled/slotted version

SO - do you continue to go to the Jeep dealer with their "experience" and parts, or go to an independent shop ? Would the shop have been able to fix the sunroof, the cooling fan relay, the rear lift gate latch ?

AND - how do you find a shop that works with & really knows Jeeps ?

Reply to
P.Schuman

My local dealer, who used to be really good 20 years ago, has gone to Hell.

As to how to find a shop, search me. There's nothing mechanically magic about Jeeps so any competent mechanic should be able to fix them. In answer to your specific questions, the answer is "yes" to all of them. That's just parts-changing that any pimply faced teenager should be able to handle.

Reply to
J. Clarke

None of the repairs were really technical and could have been done in the driveway with the maintenance manual's help and a bit of know how for removing panels or inside skins.

Finding a good shop is hard. Word of mouth seems the best way.

I think the Dealers are 'far' too proud of their work....

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Over the years, I've almost always brought my cars
Reply to
Mike Romain

For the most part repairs per se are well within the ability of anybody with a reasonable mechanical aptitude, a good set of tools, and a copy of the service manual.

The part that requires a skilled mechanic is figuring out what needs to be repaired and why it broke.

Reply to
J. Clarke

It's either that or do it yourself:

and life's tooshort for that. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I'm lucky enough to have a very reputable shop near me that I can take my cars to if I am unable to do it due to lack of expertise in the repair or lack of time. It's not much to look at but it's been in operation for 25+ years and the owner is held in such high esteem he was named 2007 Pumpkinfest King...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
philthy

Stealers here want around the $160 /hr.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

How much is that in Pound Sterling, about 15?

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Yeah, the dollar has dropped a lot. Its around 2:1 now.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
philthy

Edinburgh, Scotland.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Jeep=luxury car petrol guzzler. Everything for a Jeep is high there, no? They probably charge you more at the car wash.

Ciao,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton