death wobble!!

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

We call that a 'tank-slapper' where I come from... and you need to change your *shorts*, too! __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I think the 740 is a V8 isn't it, Bill ?

Reply to
Dave Milne

My CJ7 had the death wobble when I bought it. It would not drive 65 mph. Just everything worn out.

So I changed 'every' front end part 'except' the steering stabilizer. Haven't had any issues since. Don't know how old the stabilizer is, my CJ has 170K miles on it....

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I think what everybody is saying and is what we already know.... there are many things that cause death wobble.... but for a solution you should start with the cheapest things 1st the most common that we have found is tires being out of round or balance. 2nd would be you steering stabilizer from 4 wheel parts is about the 35-45 dollar bracket. If you start rebuilding you entire front end you are looking at a lot more money. being that you have a TJ unless ;you have upwards of 150,000 miles or a lot of hard core use off road .... Try the simple things first...

Larry

Reply to
extremetj

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Yes, the 740 was a V8, the 750 was the V12.

Brandonb

Dave Milne wrote:

Reply to
Brandonb

oh my god!!!!! he changes a pile of marginal parts that does not fix it!!! same dam thing you have said about me and working at a dealer excuse me stealership is the words you used, and look at what you have admitted in writing right here enough said

Mike Roma> When all else fails and you are 'sure' all the bushings, bearings and

Reply to
tim bur

Reply to
tim bur

Reply to
tim bur

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

When it comes to front end parts on the vehicle my wife and kid drives, 'marginal' means just what is says. Not really safe and in need of repair sooner or later and on a vehicle with 300K on it I figured sooner was better.

They were my choice to swap or not, I didn't get suckered by a $tealership telling me I 'had' to change this to the tune of $2000.00 or more 'labor' only to still have a shake.

*'You'* are supposed to know better! That is supposedly why 'you' can charge $80.00+ per hour and still sleep at night!

'I', unlike 'you', never claimed to be a mechanic.....

My CJ7 also had a bunch of 'marginal' steering components. Each component was good enough to pass a safety, just, but add them all up and the vehicle would not drive at 65 mph without shaking itself off the road. I saved some of those 'marginal' parts for my off road spares box by the by.

So I changed all those 'marginal' parts and left the steering stabilizer alone and now have 'perfect' steering on 'both' Jeeps.

Like our Cherokee brakes. The $tealership gave a quote of over $2000.00 in writing to fix a low brake pedal when my wife took it in for a 'free' brake inspection.

I had someone open them up so I could look when it got home.

The 6 month old rear brake shoe needed a hold down pin and one front rotor was scored from a stuck caliper. That was it!!!!! The low pedal was from the broken 15 cent pin the local Jeep shop gave me the replacement for for free. New shoes and pads and drums and rotor were already in place at the other 3 wheels with almost no wear.

You $tealership jerks are a bunch of thieves. Oh, I can back that up in writing too, caught the local $tealership charging tax on non taxable items which is a criminal offense up here in Canada.

Mike

tim bur wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Wow, what $tealership do you work for?

Here you are advocating removing a critical safety part on a world wide forum.

I'll bet the bosses would love that......

Mike

tim bur wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The same thing happened to me, on my 98 TJ. I tried balance, checking all the front end components.. It almost put me in the ditch while driving on the freeway one day.

Turns out my tire was suffereing from "ply sep", as the tire guy called it. I got a new set of tires which solved the problem.

Tim

Reply to
DiezMon