Death wobble revisited

98 TJ new pitbull tires 35x14.5" new rims, 15x10" granted cheap 4wpw steelies. innovative balancing powder (yes, there is enough balance stuff in there - at speed its smooth)

Started having a slight wobble occasionally, then it got worse - it starts around

30-40 MPH, if you can get to 40 with out it starting you are good on up. Otherwise you have to come nearly to a stop to stop the wobble. I can see the wobble in the drivers front tire when it happens. Not sure on the other side, since I cant see it. There is a little wobble/vibration at 65-70 MPH too. But its nothing like what happens at 35.

I had the new currie steering (tie rod, drag link, and ends) put on, and it actually got worse. The only steering parts with old ends is the track bar.

The shop who did the steering install checked the stabilizer and said it was "nearly as good as new", as in its tight and they cant easily move the shaft in and out by hand.

The axle shafts are new, inner, outer, and u-joints.

Where to look?

Hubs/wheel bearings??

Give me some ideas on what all to check. My neighbor is going to jack it up and help me check the front end out on Sunday.

Thanks gang!

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Wheel bearings are an easy start.

If you grab the top of the tire and start to rock the Jeep side to side using all your weight, you should be able to feel a click or play if the ball joints are bad. Then if you pull the wheel side to side, you can see tie rod ends bad or not. If it does both, then jack it up and see if it flops around because of a bad wheel bearing.

If no play, then Jack it up so the tire is 'just' clear of the ground and hand spin the tire slow to see if it is egg or S shaped with a bad belt wobble or 'bent out of the box' rim wobble.

Mike

jbjeep wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Good ideas Mike. Jenn, Here's a W.A.G. on my part since I am not a mechanic by any means. If / when you perform ths 'spin' test, how about trying the following. With the wheel off the ground determine the angle of the wheel. brace a simple piece of wood (yardstick or something) than place a device something that will allow the wheel to spin freely but push away from your hand - maybe a caster wheel from the bottom of an old desk. If it does not make contack all around that that would give you an idea to degree you would be off. Maybe your neighbor has a gauge that would show any deflection. If you'd like to get more accuracy of the differance place the outer most position of the 'caster wheel' with a piece of chalk. This would mark the area that is furtherest outbound & spin. Measure the distance from your yardstick at the chaulk to the opposite surfac of the chaulk mark. This should / might give you an indication how much or if your wheel is off. Hopefully it is not. Good luck in finding your problem and hope it is a minor fix. Steve in Michigan

97 TJ stock
Reply to
popeyeball

Jenn, Mike has some great suggestions. If you do the wheel spin, ere's a W.A.G. on my part. Since I am not a mechanic by any means remember it's a wag. If / when you perform the 'spin' test, how about trying the following. With the wheel off the ground determine the angle of the wheel. Brace a simple piece of wood (yardstick or something) at the same angle,than place a device something that will allow the wheel to spin freely but push away from your hand - maybe a caster wheel from the bottom of an old desk. If it does not make contact all around after second rotation that that would give you an idea your wheel is off. Maybe your neighbor has a gauge that would show any deflection. If you'd like to get more accuracy of the differance place the outer most position of the 'caster wheel' with a piece of chalk and spin. This would mark the area that is furtherest outbound & spin. Measure the distance from your yardstick at the middle of the chaulk to the opposite diameter of the wheel. This should / might give you an indication how much your wheel is off. Hopefully it is not. Good luck in finding your problem and hope it is a minor fix. Steve in Michigan

97 TJ stock
Reply to
popeyeball

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bearing doesnt seem to be the problem. Both sides seemed tight. Ball joints seemed ok too.

I just had a brand new Currie HD tie rod and drag link put in and the passenger side draglink end looks to have some play (its 2 months old) in it.

My track bar is deffinitly shot at both ends. Could this be the problem? We tightened everything up as much as possible and we didnt feel any difference at all.

Didnt do this, but I did have a buddy ride with me and he said that the passenger side is wobbling badly when it starts. Which means it isnt a tire IMO, since 1) both sides are doing it, and 2) we swapped the front tires for the backs and it made no difference at all.

We tightened up everything and anything that was loose. Which included the stabilizer bracket and the track bar adjuster. Still no changes.

Got any more ideas for me???

Reply to
jbjeep

up and help

Reply to
Rich Hampel

New track bar seems to have corrected the problem. =)

cant see it.

up and help

Reply to
jbjeep

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thanks for the follow-up. The track bar kinda holds everything in place.

Mike

jbjeep wrote:

- at speed

Otherwise

cant see it.

it actually

was "nearly

it up and help

Reply to
Mike Romain

Uhhh.... The re-weld has always been on the back one. This time it was the front, and the thing was just plain shot - been on there since the summer of '99 when I _first_ lifted the TJ.

Reply to
jbjeep

Yea, its pretty amazing the difference with a new one on there. That sucker (RE) is pretty stout too.

We checked bearings/hubs/alignment/castor/tie rod/drag link/tires/etc. and it just was time to replace the TB. I am all ready for the next run (only 3.5 weeks to wait!).

joints seemed

since 1) both

there - at speed

starts around