Wobble in 2001 WJ Front

getting a wobble in the steering wheel after running over say a rail road track or similar bump in the road .. replaced the from damper and seemed to help .. what else is loose that needs replacing .. Thanks all for any info

Reply to
Mindy

That's the beginning of what we call "Death Wobble" and believe me, you will know why it's called that when it happens. :O

Bad shocks can contribute, but usually it's worn track-bar bushings. The damper will take some of it away, but not for long.

Sorry, no after or during. Dang near killed myself doing these and I'll pay someone next time.

Reply to
DougW

I'll second that - Damn, those rubber bushings are hard to get out! I finally used a torch to burn them clean. I even own a decent set of spring compressors but the r&r of the old parts was a bear!

Reply to
Will Honea

That's the beginning of what we call "Death Wobble" and believe me, you will know why it's called that when it happens. :O

Bad shocks can contribute, but usually it's worn track-bar bushings. The damper will take some of it away, but not for long.

Sorry, no after or during. Dang near killed myself doing these and I'll pay someone next time.

Reply to
Mindy

Check first to see if that is the problem. This is not a cheap job.

You have two routes to go, neither are easy.

1) press/cut/burn out the old ones and press new ones in. 2) buy new links with pre-installed bushings.

Usually it's the lowers that take the most abuse but you should do them all at the same time.

I used Energy Suspension bushings. But if I did it again I would buy the lower links with factory bushings already in them. Slightly more expensive but rather than messing with four bushings it's just four bolts.

Reply to
DougW

Great... I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo - and now have something else to add to the "watch list"

Reply to
ps56k

Yep.

JEEP == Just Empty Every Pocket