HELP! Front end wobble

My 93 Audi S4 has developed a front end wobble. Last fall I hit a curb. The wheel had a dent in it, but the car seemed to drive fine. I got the wheel fixed, got new tires, and put the car away for the winter without driving it much. I got it out this spring and upon hitting the interstate, I find that it has a wobble. It only does it at, or above 75 mph and only when turning left. Just keeping the car on cruise control around a sweeping left curve on the interstate at 75 mph and it will start to wobble slightly. If you accelerate into a left hand curve at 75 mph and up, it wobbles hard and fast. It starts out as a slight wobble in the front end, but if you don't make it stop the whole front end starts to wobble hard and fast and you'd swear the wheels were leaving the ground. You cannot drive out of it. If you maintain speed during the wobble it gets progressively worse. If you accelerate during the wobble it gets much worse very quickly. The only way to stop the wobble is to decelerate. Letting off the gas will stop it slowly. Braking will stop it right away. There is no wobble at all going straight all the way up to 100 mph. There is no wobble when curving right at 75 mph and up. Only when taking a left curve at 75 mph and up. I have had the wheels balanced numerous times and had the front wheels/tires rotated to the back, with no impact on the wobble. it stays up front. Any idea where I should start to look?

Please reply to the group if you have any ideas.

Thanks,

JR

Reply to
JR

Could be a number of things, but it seems less likely to be balance related.

I had a similar symptom on an old Corvair (and admittedly the geometries are different ) which turned out to be worn ball joints. Only happened when turning in one direction, certain speeds, etc. It would start to shake so badly it was almost irrecoverable.

Ball joints fixed it.

I think it is time for you to completely inspect the front geometry.

Reply to
HLS

Check to see if you have a factory installed steering damper. Don't know about a 93 but on older audi's & vw's this was a common problem. A steering shock (damper) can be "blown out" by a hard impact, rendering it useless. It's purpose is to prevent the kind of shake you are experiencing. Good luck.

Reply to
PA-ter